Job Title: Regional Medical Manager
Number of vacancies: Two
Deadline for applications: 19th December 2019
*Should be willing to work and live outside Lusaka
* Female candidates strongly encouraged to apply
The Regional Medical Manager directly oversees all medical activities, at supported facilities in the located in the particular Provincial areas in Zambia, covering all static and outreach facilities within the province(s), and spearheads expansion of services within the province (s) they are responsible for, ensuring delivery of high quality prevention, care and treatment for all patients through staff mentorship, supervision and adherence to SOPs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Leadership and Management
- As a Manager, he/she oversees medical operations of the organisation in a province(s) and supports the Medical Director and Country Program Manager to efficiently and effectively deliver quality clinical services in the region.
- Provides technical support to the Prevention and Treatment program and ensures linkages from outreach activities to treatment and care facilities through well-established processes of patient linkages and service integration
- Attends key technical partners meetings and provides feedback to management.
- Ensures that CMEs are conducted in all sites and participates in the facilitation of CME sessions.
- Leads the development of work plans for the sites within his/her region
- He/she participates in staff needs assessment, interviewing, and induction of new hired staff.
- He/she participates in setting performance targets and staff appraisal, disciplining and addressing complaints of employees under his/her supervision.
- Supports the operations of the programs in the region to ensure efficient service delivery in each site/program area
2. Clinical Responsibilities:
- Ensures standard quality of clinical services is delivered at all health facilities in the region. He/She will lead quality assurance initiatives in the region
- Provides periodic comprehensive support supervision reports, adhering to the tools provided by the organisation
- Promotes the implementation of standard operating procedures for all activities relating to good clinical practice and ensures functional QI teams are in existence at site levels
- Supervises and implements quality management activities and quality benchmarks monitoring, facilitation of quality assurance and quality improvement sessions.
- Strengthens and ensures TB/HIV, PMTCT, ART, SMC services are delivered in an integrated service delivery model.
- Ensures optimal operations of the laboratory services, including functioning of sample referral networks at regional level
- Provides on-site technical support and mentoring to the field staff
- Ensures effective patient flow in all sites, especially those with high volume of patients and coordinate time motion surveys to monitor performance
- Oversees the timely collection, compilation and reporting of routine and specific data to guide decision making at site, regional and country program level.
- Identifies early warning resistance indicators and intervention strategies
- Remains updated on current trends and standards in clinical management of HIV/AIDS and related illnesses
- Participates in the elaboration/monitoring of annual targets and ensure that they are achieved in all regional sites
- Is the point person for management of difficult cases
- Spends a minimum of 3 days per week providing direct patient care
3. Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Provides direct supervision and mentorship to doctors, nurses, laboratory technologists, pharmacy technicians working in the different facilities in the region to ensure continuous growth and learning
- Ensures timely compilation and submission of monthly drug inventory reports in coordination with the Program Pharmacist
- Works with the program pharmacist to ensure that pharmacy operations are in accordance with good pharmacy practices
- Identifies and promotes operational research at site level and builds capacity among the staff in case presentations and elaboration of scientific papers
4. Participation in the Organisation’s Meetings/Committees:
- Management Meetings
- Technical Partnership and stakeholders meetings
- General Staff Meeting
- Medical Staff Meeting
- Meetings with lower health units meeting
- CME activities
- Other meetings as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Must be a Medical Doctor from a recognizable institution. Post graduate qualification in Health systems management or public health or infectious diseases is required
- Minimum of 7 years medical/health service experience preferred with a sound knowledge of basic medical disciplines to allow for accurate diagnosis and appropriate management of clinical problems.
- A minimum of three years or more of recent experience with HIV/AIDS treatment; two years minimum of administration and program management experience with knowledge of clinical protocols and procedures in the management of HIV related diseases.
- Experience in planning and budgeting required
- Experience in quality management and assurance practices desired
Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
Basic Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Highest Skills: Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) and its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Other Skills & Abilities/Qualifications
Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
Sensitivity to issues surrounding HIV and AIDS.
Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to provide coverage at other health facilities upon request.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Current registration with the Health Professionals Council of Zambia (HPCZ)
Sharing is Caring! Click on the Icons Below and Share