Akros Research - Lusaka, Lusaka
Akros is a cutting edge organization that establishes data-driven systems to improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the service delivery systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions. Our technical emphasis leverages open-source technology for community-led development. Projects range from supporting national Health Information Systems strengthening, to malaria case detection via mobile phone, to electronic data reporting for rural school administrators. The breadth of Akros’ projects has enabled our teams to establish working relationships at the sub-national and community levels in nine out of ten provinces in Zambia (across nearly 40,000 villages) as well as at the central level in Botswana, Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.
Akros seeks a Communications Officer to provide high-quality advocacy and communication support to our exciting work. The Communications Officer will be based in Lusaka, Zambia with frequent field visits and will provide communication and documentation support to Akros. Akros has achieved success in bringing improved health to the communities in which they work – we seek to document our unique approaches, as well as share success stories with the global community. The Communications Officer would be central to working with our in-country field staff to understand the nature of Akros’ work and achievements, and to document them in the most tangible, real-life and boots on the ground way possible. This will include frequent field visits to remote locations in Zambia, routine interactions with a variety of stakeholders including local traditional leaders, government staff, and partners. A few focused tasks include:
- Expand Akros’ reach and name recognition, particularly through social media.
- Work with our communication team to design a social media strategy that aligns with Akros’ digital transformation.
- Work with our in-country, boots on the ground team in Zambia to capture new, and repurpose existing, success stories, case studies, and general documentation for sharing with target audiences (global media, partners, donors)
- Help us talk about our work better: Akros is a technical implementing partner, supporting ICT solutions to improve access to care in the developing world. Our work is complicated, but our results are simple. We need help talking about our work and what we accomplish, without alienating audiences.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or Master’s degree (preferred) in Public Health, Health
- Communications or another related focus as well technical expertise established through supporting international development projects for at least 3-4 years.
- Experience living abroad or working internationally.
- Knowledge, passion and interest in global health issues.
- Social media wizardry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to lead the design and implementation of corporate communication strategies, including producing relevant internal documentation and guidance.
- High level of personal integrity.
- Humility and an appreciation for the Zambian cultural context.
- Photography and videography skills a plus.
The Communications Officer will be based in Lusaka, Zambia with frequent field visits and will provide communication and documentation support to Akros.