Information Systems Portfolio Lead
Akros Research - Lusaka, Lusaka
Akros is a cutting edge organization that establishes data-driven systems to improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our groundlevel knowledge of the service delivery systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions. Our technical emphasis leverages open-source technology for community-led development. Projects range from supporting national Health Information Systems strengthening, to malaria case detection via mobile phone, to electronic data reporting for rural school administrators. The breadth of Akros’ projects has enabled our teams to establish working relationships at the sub-national and community levels in nine out of ten provinces in Zambia (across nearly 40,000 villages) as well as at the central level in Botswana, Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.
Akros is seeking a Portfolio Lead to provide technical, strategic, and programmatic oversight for multiple information systems strengthening projects for health and education. This individual will be responsible for establishing and maintaining positive client relationships, implementing Akros’ standard program management quality assurance procedures, and providing leadership for more junior program managers.
Since Akros programs constantly shift and grow, this Portfolio Lead must be willing and able to flexibly adapt and take on new projects and roles with little oversight. S/he will work under the oversight of the Country Director based in Lusaka, Zambia but may also contribute to projects within the region.
- Serve as the lead manager for select information systems strengthening projects, steering programmatic direction and client relationships while also managing project expenditure.
- Provide technical input on and strategic advice for the development and implementation of information systems in low-resource settings across multiple projects.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with government counterparts.
- Engage project staff members, government points of contact, and key stakeholders to develop innovative new strategies to optimize the generation, identification, collection, processing, storage, and dissemination of quality data and strategic information.
- Manage select Program Managers and Informatics Officers.
- Contribute to the innovation culture at Akros by rewarding direct reports for outside the box thinking and new ideas to contribute to programmatic and company growth.
- Keep Country Director apprised of project progress and concerns.
- Contribute to proposal development efforts, as required. This may include providing technical inputs, leading efforts, contributing to capture efforts, etc. as time permits and as skills dictate.
Other duties as assigned.
Akros employs passionate, results-orientated self-starters who are willing to take the plunge with us. We are an energetic, fast moving team who often have to divide and conquer to get the job done. We are looking for people to invest in, to learn from, and to share and grow our lessons learned so far. And we are looking for those who can bring new ideas, new perspectives and new bursts of energy and innovation to our team. We have a deep history of people coming to Akros, coming alongside our founders, supporting the same vision they are seeing: to make tangible impact in sustainable ways for the vulnerable populations we are working among. Many past employees or fellows have created a lasting legacy at Akros through their own innovations which we have helped expand, and in some cases, take to scale. If you have an idea that is going to create impact on global health and it fits within our wheelhouse – we are willing to help take that idea to fruition.
The appropriate candidate will possess:
- A Master’s degree in information science, data science, public health, statistics, health informatics, education information systems, or a related field
- At least 4 years of experience at a managerial or advisor level, providing guidance and supervision in implementation of strategies or methods
- USAID experience preferable, at least 4 years of experience supporting international programs required
- Demonstrated experience working with government and/or implementing partner staff to successfully achieve program goals and in designing information systems in partnership with government counterparts.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, including evidence of quality report writing and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines with quality products.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to lead in a multicultural environment and motivate other staff to excel
- Self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative.
- Candidate should be highly productive and internally motivated
- Demonstrated ability to work well against complex and challenging delivery schedules
Location, Term and Travel
This position will be for a period of 12 months and is contingent on funding. (Extensions may be available contingent upon performance). The position will require about 50% travel to communities that benefit from Akros programs.