Anglo American - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
At Anglo American, we’re proud of our achievements over the last 100 years, but in a competitive and demanding industry, we’re looking to the next 100 years. To achieve our purpose of reimagining mining to improve people’s lives, we are forging a new path with our innovation-led approach to sustainable mining – FutureSmart MiningTM. Combining integrity and smart innovation we can better connect the resources in the ground to the people who need and value them.
We’re looking for a Discovery Manager to join our Discovery and Geosciences function and lead this challenging effort. The role will be based in Zambia with travel as required. Reporting to our Regional Head of Discovery – Africa, Europe and Australia.
Lead a high-performance, innovative team focused on discovering superior value sediment-hosted copper resources in Zambia by:
- Providing excellent leadership to enable a highly collaborative and technically innovative discovery team focused on achieving breakthrough discovery beneath cover.
- Leading the identification and evaluation of new frontier districts with potential for high-value mineral discoveries.
- Ensuring a strong focus on safety and maintaining the company’s continued licence to operate and forming and cultivating productive links with prospective and current joint venture partners.
The incumbent is required to have a thorough understanding of the sediment-hosted copper “mineral system” as applied to exploration and a track record of leading successful discovery teams.
- Lead and mentor the Zambia Discovery team;
- Develop and actively manage the Zambia project portfolio and ensure alignment with Group Discovery strategy;
- Ensure an innovative, strong technical team is in place with correct capability and skills. Instill commitment, clear direction, role clarity and responsibility within the Discovery team to achieve high performance;
- Drive new approaches to undercover discovery;
- Ensure that all discovery activities in Zambia are undertaken in a safe and sustainable manner.
- Lead the development of a strong administrative team to enable successful field-based discovery activities.
- Tertiary degree in Geosciences (Essential)
- Post-graduate qualifications in geoscience (Preferred).
- Sound technical experience in geoscience and discovery.
- High level knowledge and understanding of:
- Geosciences (geology, geochemistry, geophysics, structural).
- Exploration tools, techniques and methods (computer modelling, geophysics, geochemistry, spatial analysis of geological data sets)
- Mineral systems and mineral deposit geology.
- Experience in community and government relations issues.
- Knowledge of general management practices in an applied technical environment; eg finance (budget, accounting, governance), SHE (systems management and application, practical procedures, leadership), people management desirable.
- Cross-commodity and cross discipline experience desirable
- Use broad geoscience skills (geology, geochemistry, geophysics).
- Assess and apply appropriate exploration tools, techniques and methods.
- Apply mineral systems approach to exploration.
- Collaborate effectively with mining and resource geology professionals