Barclays Bank - Location: Zambia, Lusaka
Function and Business Area Purpose
• The job holder will be responsible for the execution of the China Corridor strategy in-country. This will entail driving the Bank’s strategy to grow its China outbound client base and deepen relationships by providing world class on the ground solutions in support of client strategy as determined through the establishment of strategic linkages at parent (group) level.
• To maintain, grow and sustain quality relationships with existing and new Chinese corporate customers by ensuring that they utilize the suite of Barclay’s products as appropriate for their business.
• To mirror focus at GC China Corridor and Client Group level in-country with subsidiary operations, completing the strategic feedback loop and operationalizing strategy at operating subsidiary level.
• Driving the Bank’s Deliver the Firm (DtF) strategy to the client through the effective cross-sell of Bank products and solutions.
• To manage, grow and sustain a portfolio of Chinese segment business customers and building long-term relationships founded on efficient and reliable support for their business through quality Relationship Management. This is achieved particularly through quick turn around on credit decisions, managing consistency and quality of operational service.
• The jobholder will be responsible for business development for existing and new Chinese customers through active and targeted sales effort and the building of strategic networks through the Bank’s GC model.
• A primary objective is to cross sell the full suite of the Banks product set to customers. Develop and implement a deliberate and proactive calling programme (both face –to- face and telephonic) for both existing and potential customers.
• Consistent with value based management, the job holder will be measured on risk-adjusted portfolio contribution as well as other performance metrics including customer satisfaction and living the Barclays values.
Main accountabilities and approximate time split
Sales and Service 75%
• Spend a minimum of 75% of available time visiting existing and new to Bank customers;
• Develop account relationship plan for key customers including sales, account plans and contact strategy
• Work with specialist product teams including Trade Finance, Debt, Cash and Markets to maximize solution uptake and product sales;
• Achieve agreed sales targets for liabilities, assets and income.
• Develop and Implement proactive calling programme (both face –to-face and telephonic) for existing and potential customers, actively logging calls and capturing pipeline on prescribed systems.
• Create a lead base of external target market through business networking
through attending relevant social events seminars, trade shows and industry events.
• Timely deal with, and find resolutions for customer complaints.
• Determine the products that are most effective in meeting customers’ needs and be able to sell these, at short notice, both reactively and proactively.
• Monitor and ensure adherence to risk and service standards.
• Actively engage borrowing corporate customers in obtaining relevant documentation for annual and or interim review of their banking facilities.
Business Management 15%
• Manage and control portfolio within agreed credit limits
• Maintain a high standard of operational control including adherence to Risk Management Control Document (RMCD)guidelines, KYC & STM procedures and other bank policies
• Work in partnership with Corporate Credit Manager’s (CCM) partner on new and existing credit applications, providing guidance on credit appetite and consulting with Credit team as appropriate.
• In the event of credit quality deterioration, the responsible Relationship Manager will play the role of first line of defence and take responsibility for flagging and escalating risk concerns through prescribed channels. The Relationship Manager will also be the Primary contact in a remedial management of the situation.
• Ensure data quality as it relates to client information across various systems, i.e. segment codes, refer streams, BIC classifications.
• Ensure all accounts within portfolio are linked on CID and data held comply with Basel II standards
• Research, create and follow up on a target list for potential new business.
• Day-to-day coaching and development of Coverage Support Manager in provision of consistent service quality to corporate customers.
Technical skills / Competencies
• Relationship skills
• Sales and negotiation skills
• Credit Risk & structuring skills
• General Corporate skills
• Team player
• Product skills
• Communication skills
• Excellent communication skills- written ,oral and presentation
Knowledge, Expertise and Experience
• Have an understanding of Mandarin or Cantonese and Chinese etiquette.
• Detailed knowledge of the bank’s products, credit assessment, account opening and other processes.
• A working knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation e.g. KYC, anti- money laundering, banking code, sanctions, service standards, health &safety standards etc.
• A sound knowledge of the bank’s internal departments, system & procedures.
Awareness and understanding of Barclay’s product & services to best satisfy customer needs.
• A good knowledge of the products & services available in Retail is also required to satisfy the individual financial needs of business owners/key individuals.
• The jobholder will require a broad understanding of policies and strategies across the Group as they relate to the demands of the customer base.
• Customer Relationship Management
• Credit Skills
• People management /Leadership
• Good communicator.
• Targeting, marketing and Sales skills
• Negotiation skills.