BioCarbon Partners - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
BCP is a leading African conservation company which aims to generate sustainable conservation finance
through the forest carbon markets. We are working with community and Government partners to help
improve the conservation management over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, and to benefit 170,000 people. Most of the project areas are located in Game Management Areas bordering strategic National Parks in Eastern and Lusaka Province, governed by management agreements between local communities, the Government of Zambia, and BCP. The primary role shall be to support partners to enhance forest protection, improved biodiversity conservation, biodiversity monitoring, capacity building and land management. The objective is to build capacity with a long-term objective. Key outcomes of success will be strong partnerships, zero encroachment and wildlife restorations.
BCP is recruiting for a Manager, Conservation to guide BCP into a new phase of conservation impacts and partnership building. The primary responsibility of the Manager is to support Government and community partners to build capacity and reduce threats to valuable Zambian forests and biodiversity. The position works closely with DNPW, Forestry Department and Community Resource Boards to target zero deforestation in project areas, and a community-based approach towards restoring wildlife in targeted areas.
The position requires advanced partnership and team building abilities, as well as skills in data management, conducting field work in rural Africa, advanced spreadsheet skills, excellent English writing skills, knowledge of forest management and conservation methodologies, as well as a willingness to live in Zambia. The main tasks will be managing stakeholder partnerships, supporting partners to achieve continental-class operational effectiveness, catalyzing capacity building of CRB community scouts plus Government partners, ensuring data systems work and are used in adaptive management, and coordinating logistics and building forest management capacity amongst partners. This role has the exciting opportunity to be a key liaison with our partners. The position will require extensive travel to rural areas in Zambia, and a willingness to engage in fundraising efforts. The candidate is expected to be a manager, a relationship builder, and a coach.
STUFF WE’LL TRUST YOU WITH –
- A key and trusted liaison between BCP and our valued, strategic, and long-term partners in the ecosystem. We are here to support, and build the capacity of, our partners to achieve their mandates.
- To support partners to develop and revise annual Conservation Plans.
- Serve as a liaison with Government and Community partners to support the improvement of effective conservation management, and to ensure the execution thereof.
- Design, fundraise for, and manage an annual system of in-service capacity building for community and Government partners.
- Ensure biodiversity monitoring capacity is built and data is collected consistently.
- Coordinating infrastructure development in conservation project areas to completion.
- Support effective liaison with partners limiting deforestation within REDD+ Zones in project areas.
- 100% effective conservation asset management.
- Ensure ongoing support to community partners to ensure operations at all sites are managed to targets.
- Build effective forest protection teams working with Government partners.
- Support the capacity building of developing and implementation of fire management plans.
- The development and implementation of regular standard operating procedures (SOPs), systems, and policies that support BCP’s vision of continental-class conservation management.
- Assist in coordinating aerial support to partners.
- Procurement and design of communication systems to enhance effectiveness.
PROBLEM SOLVERS WANTED –
- Advanced partnership development skills.
- Advanced report writing.
- Management skills.
- Knowledge of forest management and capacity building amongst community institutions.
- Project Management, people management and leadership skills. We’re looking for someone who wants to make a difference, and puts team and partnership first.
- Pilot’s license preferred.
A competitive salary will be offered, plus training, plus great holiday benefits, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus travel opportunities for work, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, plus working with a diverse and committed team.