BCP is a leading African conservation company which aims to generate sustainable conservation finance through the forest carbon markets. We are working with community and Government partners to help improve the conservation management over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, and to benefit 170,000 people.
The Finance and Administration (FAD) is in charge of supervising the Finance and Administration Departments. His/Her key responsibilities are financial and administration strategy which include: financial reporting, budget management, financial systems and internal controls design, tax management and compliance and administrative management. He/She also manages relationships with the Bank, Tax Authorities, Auditors, Computer package vendors etc.
It will be important to provide leadership to the Full Finance Function of BCP Group so as to yield positive contributions towards the attainment of the organization’s Top Goals. This will be done through managing BCP’s finance function to achieve financial objectives by supporting the field operations and effectiveness strategy.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES –
Provide leadership in Strategic Financial Planning and management (Budgeting)
- Assist with Budget preparation and finalization.
- Manage Zambia budgets for all entities. Provide clear regular reports to the management team on performance to budget, cash flow projections, and risks.
- Implement the Budgets, resource allocation and alignment of Partnership Budgets between Head Office, projects, grants and Support office. Ensure adequate use of Cost Centers for each chiefdom are created so that performance can be measured accordingly by chiefdom.
- Ensure prompt resolution of all reconciling items on the funding reconciliation account – USAID The CFP and all other Grants through BCP Trust.
- Provide the Board of Directors with variance analysis reports of budgets and actual so that management can control and monitor budget spending.Promote stewardship, accountability and reporting (Financial Close)
- Hire and/or manage a team of hardworking, like-minded operations and accounting staff to execute on all necessary financial activities.
- Recommend and implement processes, models, systems and procedures that will enhance corporate wide stewardship, accountability, asset security/preservation and reporting.
- Ensure the timely submission and input in Pastel and VIP Databases, of accurate, complete and relevant financial reports for different stakeholders (internal and external) associated with BCP Group.
- Ensure compliance with BCP Finance Manual and other policies, year-end procedures, Carry forward processes and protocols.
- Review the monthly financial report package for approval by BCP’s Executive management team.
- Approve disbursements and adjusting journal entries including confidential payroll journals.
- Review monthly balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Ensure receivables are promptly recovered and payables cleared in a timely manner.
- Review all BCP Group bank reconciliation for accuracy and completeness. Ensure that all reconciling and outstanding items are resolved and addressed in a timely manner before the 9th of each month to ensure Management Accounts are submitted monthly by the 10th of each month for each entity. Adopt and manage a zero-tolerance for lateness of submissions.
- Ensure that all ZRA statutory obligations are met, monthly and annually, without incurring interest or penalties due to late submissions and payments. This should be regulated and managed with zero tolerance for non-compliance. Any deviation from meeting these deadlines should be avoided.
- Build out and maintain the BCP Limited Zambia and BCP Trust Zambia (and all other Zambia associated entities) financial models.
- Create and implement accounting practices according to the BCP Financial Policies, purchasing guidelines, and reporting processes. Update the financial policies to reflect current practices and regulations.
- Maintain BCP Chart of Accounts across all operations.
- Coordinate tax and audit filings.
- Co-ordinate and lead Financial Audits for the entities as well as annual internal audits with chiefdoms.
- Maintain banking relationships and monitor accounts.
- Train and manage the local finance and accounting staff.
- Oversee revenue, expenses booking according to globally compliant practices.
- Implement operational best practices.
- Manage payroll functions including accurate recording of all leave and liabilities.
- Implement performance management and appraisals with your finance team to build capacity and succession.
- Assist with USAID requirements and close out.
- Assist with other functions that may be expected from this senior management position.
- Presentation of Management accounts to EXCO.
- Forecast cash flow needs and prepare monthly cash request for submission to the Support Office in South Africa (when applicable). Ensure that BCP Zambia cash flow sufficiently meets the requirements of current operations and at the same time within the target low balance.
- Managing BCP Zambia’s cash flow planning, treasury arrangements and models and funding/provision of financial services to the project.
- Ensure that BCP Zambia meets the target low standard through properly utilization of cash.
- Develop value networks and relationships with Key stakeholders such as banks to ensure that BCP Zambia will benefit from such networks relationships.
- Attend and actively participate in strategic meetings with various stakeholders.
Management & Supervision of the Finance function
- Provide strategic support in the development and coordination of the implementation of a finance business processes.
- Ensure appropriate Systems and controls are in place and adhered to.
- Supervise the work on accounting officers.
Leadership Development & Capacity Building.
- Support the Implementation of a Capacity Building (CB) and Talent Management Strategy for the Finance and Risk Team to ensure that the team retains the required technical skills.
- Participate in relevant National, Regional, Africa and partnership Capacity Building Initiatives.
- Support the development and roll-out of a Community Capacity Building Initiative in defined areas within the Finance, Risk and Infrastructure Division.
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Qualification required: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/ Finance, ACCA, CIMA or ZICA.
- Qualifications required for MBA
- Experience: 10 yrs in senior level finance management including member of Board of Directors
- Technical Training qualifications required: ZRA Compliance
- Fluency with software MS Office All – Pastel and VIP
- Work environment: Office-based with frequent travel to the field.
Compensation: a competitive salary will be offered.