General Manager – Eco Charcoal
BioCarbon Partners - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
BCP-Trust Eco-Charcoal Started in 2012, the Eco-charcoal project was developed to directly address unsustainable charcoal production as one of the major drivers of deforestation in Zambia. Since then, the Eco-charcoal project has continued to grow and improve, through ongoing partnerships with the USAID funded Community Forest Program implemented by BCP, Forestry Department, Musika and Peace Parks Foundation.
The general manager directs and coordinates activities, such as operations and sales, of the business organization and aids the chief executive officer in formulating, administering and implementing organization policies by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participates in formulating and administering company policies, directing and coordinating all divisional department activities to develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to meet business and profitability growth objectives.
- Reviews analyses of activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine progress toward stated goals and objectives.
- Confers with the chief executive officer and other administrative personnel to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals or objectives resulting from current status and conditions.
- Develops, reviews, updates and implements business strategic planning, including sales, financial performance and product development.
- Oversees manufacturing and materials departments to review production and operating reports and resolve operational, manufacturing and facility problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays and to meet future growth.
- Oversees key projects, processes and performance reports, data and analysis.
- Drive sales and design concepts for new or existing products or improvement to provide cost reduction, safety, customer requirements and market growth.
- Reviews operations and plans to meet requirements for sales planning and to ascertain manufacturing or outsourcing requirements to develop new markets.
- Reviews and approves preparation of accounting analysis for budgetary planning and implementation, production efficiency, financial reporting, budgetary planning and submittal for capital expenditures.
- Business Acumen.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Project Management.
- Strategic Thinking.
This role manages and directs staff management in sales, quality, materials, manufacturing and human resources. The role is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of direct reports and for carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to the manufacturing areas that require the use of personal protective clothing and equipment when visiting the production sites. For the most part the employee will be exposed to ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. The position may require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. The employee may reach above shoulder heights or below the waist or lift as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques are required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Occasional local travel is expected with this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent; or four to 10 years’ related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Prior finance and production management experience
Beneficial – Sustainable Forest Management experience
Work Permit/Visa required for Expatriates
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.