Senior Head Teacher / School Deputy Head
Brilliance Executive Management - Lusaka, Lusaka
Brilliance Executive Management Consultancy-BEMCONSULT has been given the mandate by one of the leading private day and boarding schools to assist with the recruitment of a Senior Head Teacher/ School Deputy Head.
Manage, administer and supervise all academic and some non-academic programmes of the school. Supervise Heads of Departments to ensure they plan and implement termly programmes and supervise and hold accountable the teachers in their departments for effective delivery of lessons and other programmes.
Summary of Key Responsibilities;
- Supervise Heads of Departments to ensure they plan and implement termly programmes and supervise and hold accountable the teachers in their departments for effective delivery of lessons and other programmes.
- Ensure that the HODs meet the expectations of their role and hold them accountable for their department’s performance.
- Be responsible in collaboration with HODs for the allocation of subject teachers to various grades in cognizance with qualifications and experiences.
- Ensure that credible charts and other teaching aids are prepared by all teachers at the beginning of every term. And ensure that charts are properly labelled and placed in classrooms and that the charts conform to the schemes of work prepared for the term.
- Ensure that teaching loads of teachers are balanced and advise the Head Teacher in cases of under or overstaffing in each department for appropriate action.
- Ensure that teaching records, i.e. schemes of work, records of work, forecasts, class lists/ mark sheets etc. are neatly kept, entered and checked at scheduled times.
- Set up a committee of HODs to prepare the timetable before the start of the academic year in accordance with approved curriculum and syllabus and authorise changes from time to time as appropriate or required.
- Develop and maintain a Home Work Policy and ensure that all teachers implement it accordingly.
- Observe the classroom teaching of every teacher at least once a term using the agreed format and submit such observation reports to the Head Teacher.
- Prepare an appraisal report on each teacher at the end of the academic year and submit such report to the Head Teacher (Appraisals are not a confidential report).
- Inspect class registers regularly and ensure that grade teachers maintain high standards.
- Manage all aspects relating to ECZ examinations and other requirements related to the successful entry of and running of the examinations are met.
- To lead, oversee and monitor the work of the exam committee including the development and execution of the examination timetable.
- Ensure that scheduled and unscheduled tests and examinations are given, marked and entered in appropriate documents e.g. mark sheets report cards/ booklets.
- Be overall ‘Director of Programmes’ equipping and ensuring that all activities in the school, including sports, clubs, visits, recreations, excursions, field trips etc. are effectively planned, executed and supervised, appointing Patrons/ Matrons for all clubs and activities.
- Produce records and rotas for all programmes and activities undertaken at the school and ensure copies are posted on notice boards in the staff room and Head Teachers’ Office.
Required Skills & Attributes
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal Skills
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Ability analyze and interpret reports and procedures manuals.
- Strategic planning and thinking.
- Creativity and innovative
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Education or Equivalent
- An MBA will be an added advantage
- Must have more than 7-10 years’ experience as Deputy Head /Head Teacher or Head of Department of a well-established school
- Must have experience in staff motivation
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be dedicated to duty
- Membership with a relevant professional / Educational body (But to a must)