Community HIV Services Advisor
Catholic Relief Services - Lusaka, Lusaka
The Catholic Relief Services (CRS) country program was established in 2000, and administers a varied and diversified portfolio of nutrition, health systems strengthening, food and security economic growth and livelihoods, orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), research, and HIV/AIDS programs. CRS services out the commitment of Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and the vulnerable overseas.
Epidemic Control 90-90-90 (EpiC 3-90) supports the Ministry of Health (MOH) in targeted faith-based sites to achieve the UNAIDS Fast Track goals for epidemic control: 90% of all PLHIV know their status, 90% of those diagnosed receive sustained ART, 90% of all people receiving ART have viral suppression.
EpiC 3-90 supports comprehensive HIV/AIDS service delivery at supported faith-based facilities while building capacity and systems for sustainability through a three-pronged approach: 1) Support health facilities improve their delivery of HIV prevention, treatment and laboratory services; 2) Improve key health system functions and structures needed to deliver quality HIV services; and 3) Health information is strategically collected and utilized to improve HIV service delivery. Through the course of the project, EpiC 3-90 will gradually decrease its involvement so that District and Provincial Health Offices (DHOs, PHOs) assume oversight of and technical assistance to supported facilities.
EpiC 3-90 is a consortium project of Churches Health Association of Zambia (CHAZ), Chreso Ministries and Catholic Relief Services (CRS), as a prime consortium member, CRS brings globally recognized expertise in grants management, health systems strengthening and sustainability, and top-notch HIV/AIDS service delivery.
The Community HIV Services Advisor (CHSA) will provide support to health facilities to develop and implement activities that provide high quality clinical services in community settings. The CHSA will work closely with the EpiC3-90 community and clinical teams in designing robust community response strategies including oversight, monitoring performance and guiding of Community Based Organizations designated to work with health facilities. The CHSA will support scale up of Integrated health services and community based DSD models for HTS, ART, PMTCT and assist in systems management. S/he will assist in capacity building, materials development and providing oversight on communication and community related clinical activities. S/he will work with the M&E team to analyze and utilize data timely for project improvements.
- Design prevention program activities with community teams
- Supporting the Clinical Lead and work with community teams to establish work plans with clear responsibilities, deliverables and timelines
- Guide community teams implement activities and monitoring activities related to treatment
- Identifying community-based initiatives to support community-based services to improve retention into care
- Helping the community team to establish strong community-facility linkages for all enrolled patients for prevention and treatment services.
- Support that defaulter tracing activities are implemented according to MOH SOPs and/or good clinical practices with proper documentation for continuum of HIV prevention and care services
- Be part of the technical team consisting of EPIC3-90 Community, PMTCT, TB, Adult and Pediatric
- Units to design strategies of expanding effective community HIV prevention and treatment interventions
- Coordinate community follow ups and community ART dispensation/distribution with appropriate documentation
- Oversee implementation of all DSD activities (from training of staff to implementation)
- Facilitating as a trainer of trainers for DSD mentors and Health Care provider (lay and professional)
- Collaborate with other partners on the ground who are involved in HIV community activities
- Participate and support regular community meetings
- Coordinate community trainings/orientations and activities for of task shifting
Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Clinical Officer/ HIV Nurse Practitioner/ Community Nurse/ other medical related field; Master’s Degree in Public Health a plus
- Experience in providing community-based HIV services
- Experience with antiretroviral therapy (ART) and understanding of Zambia Consolidated
- Guidelines for Prevention and Treatment of HIV infection
- Experience in HIV and AIDS programming in resource-poor settings at the field level and providing technical assistance to partner organizations.
- Excellent analytical skills,
- Five years’ relevant post-qualification experience, familiarity with USG procedures.
- Self-guided, strong organizational and planning skills; Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Excellent communication, coaching and facilitation skills
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge-sharing networks. STATA, SPSS and Epi-info, a plus.
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgement
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
Proficiency in English and any Zambian local language
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Community Team, SI/ M&E Team, Clinical Lead, Deputy Chief of Party -Technical/Operations, Chief of Party
External: GRZ agencies (PHO and DHOs), international and national non-governmental organizations
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.