Clinical Research Fellow
Centre for Infectious Disease Research - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
Reports to Chief Scientific Officer. The incumbent will participate in protocol activities such as participant enrolment, clinical assessments, Specimen collection, completion of case record forms, assessment of adverse events and general documentation and manuscript preparation in close collaboration with other team members in the lab and the clinics.
- Conducts assigned study procedures and adhere to procedural and international guidelines for research conduct
- Counsels participants about study specific procedures
- Performs thorough and detailed screening, enrolment and follow-up medical histories and physical exams, including past medical history,
- Reviews, grades and signs off on all study lab results.
- Proficiently assesses and reports all adverse events, including severe adverse events and adverse events requiring expedited reporting
- Ensures that written informed consent is obtained, and appropriate consenting procedures have been followed for illiterate or partially literate potential participants, before any study procedure is performed on any participant
- Assesses and treats all participants for any adverse events resulting from a study procedure and any other adverse event reported by a participant.
- Follow protocol guidelines for management of all toxicities and adverse events reporting
- Provides appropriate referrals to the Medical Officer/ Nurse in Charge at the District Clinic or University Teaching Hospital, as required
- Ensures the safety and confidentiality of data collected by ensuring that it is handled and stored in a safe and secure place at all times
- Supports continuous quality improvement activities, including implementation of the CIDRZ Quality Management Plan, to promote the quality of study data
- Maintains strict participant privacy, confidentiality and protection of participant health and personal information at all times
- Supports training of study staff on new protocols, and study specific procedures
- Acquire and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the study protocol
- MBChB, MBBS, MD or equivalent
- Completed a medical internship program
- At least 1 year of experience in clinical trials research required
- Knowledge of vaccine related clinical research preferred
- Registered Medical Officer in good standing with the HPCZ
- Interest in patient care/ clinical medicine required
- Excellent written and spoken English skills