Administration and Operations Assistant
Chishawasha Childrens Home, Zambia - Lusaka, Lusaka
About the Organization
In 1999, Kathe Padilla visited Zambia from the USA to assess the plight of children who had been orphaned at the height of the AIDS pandemic in the mid-90’s. In 2000, Ms. Padilla founded the Chishawasha Children’s home Zambia (CCHZ), and its first programme of ‘home-based support’ in Lusaka. This latter was aimed at retaining orphaned children in school. Ms. Padilla registered CCHZ as a local charity, and set up the Zambia Children’s Fund (ZCF) in the USA to raise money to run an orphanage and a school. In 2003, Ms. Padilla acquired a 15-acre plot of land on the outskirts of Lusaka, and later secured funds from the Colin B Glassco Charitable Foundation for Children – a Canadian charitable f oundation.
In 2004, these funds were used to supply water to the property allowing her to raise funds to build the first two residences and create a temporary school. Subsequently the Glassco Foundation funded the building of 5 more residences and a 12-block primary school, which were officially opened by the Glassco Foundation.
There are currently 86 children residing in 7 houses comprising the Chishawasha Children’s Home. At Colin B. Glassco School, an additional 18 orphans and vulnerable children attend the primary from the surrounding communities. These children are fully sponsored by CCHZ, which accepts responsibility for the orphans’ education and other needs to tertiary education level. In addition, the school collects full fee payments from 82 other children residing in nearby communities. The 7 occupied houses for orphans are each supervised by house ‘mothers’. In addition, psychosocial counselling is provided by two qualified social workers operating between the school and community
Main Purpose of the Job: To provide administrative and operational support CCHZ team and coordinating all office activities that facilitate the smooth running of an office.
Position: Administration and Operations Assistant
Reporting to: Administrator
Required Minimum Education: Diploma in Business Administration, Office Administration
Required Minimum Experience: 2-5 years of experience in Office Administration
Advanced Microsoft Office competency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Ability to communicate in English and correspond professionally in writing and verbally
- Request and source quotations for all CCHZ operational needs
- Support teams in completion of procurement requisition forms
- Ensure that sufficient office supplies are in stock.
- Product new employees on the office layout.
- Procure all perishable items for the home and the school
- To undertake day to day stores and inventory management.
- Timeously prepare payment requisitions for supplies received
- Monitor general cleanliness of offices and surrounding areas to ensure good work environment.
- Develop and maintain database of all key contacts at MoE, CGF, BNT, Board and Committee members, parents and guardians and partners (client relationship database)
- Oversee state of houses and school to ensure maintenance and repairs are undertaken timeously
- Ensure all electronic information is distributed to all staff without access to internet
- Administer office accounts for utilities (electricity and water) and telephone
- Manage calendars, schedule meetings and coordinate with external contacts on behalf of senior managers
- Photocopy, scan, print and bind various documents on behalf of senior staff.
- Sort and distribute incoming post/ courier services and organizing and sending outgoing post/ courier;
- Develop clear protocols for visitors
- Responsible for the management of the front office area
- Ensure office and building maintenance is regularly attended to and if needed repairs arranged.