Chishawasha Childrens Home, Zambia - Lusaka, Lusaka
Financial Controller Job Description
About the Organization
In 1999, Kathe Padilla visited Zambia from the USA to assess the plight of children who had been orphaned at the height of the AIDS pandemic in the mid-90. In 2000, Ms. Padilla founded the Chishawasha Children’s home Zambia (CCHZ), and its first programme of ‘home-based support’ in Lusaka. This latter was aimed at retaining orphaned children in school. Ms. Padilla registered CCHZ as a local charity, and set up the Zambia Children’s Fund (ZCF) in the USA to raise money to run an orphanage and a school. In 2003, Ms. Padilla acquired a 15-acre plot of land on the outskirts of Lusaka, and later secured funds from the Colin B Glassco Charitable Foundation for Children – a Canadian charitable foundation. In 2004, these funds were used to supply water to the property allowing her to raise funds to build the first two residences and create a temporary school. Subsequently the Glassco Foundation funded the building of 5 more residences and a 12-block primary school, which were officially opened by the Glassco Foundation.
There are currently 86 children residing in 7 houses comprising the Chishawasha Children’s Home. At Colin B. Glassco School, an additional 18 orphans and vulnerable children attend the primary from the surrounding communities. These children are fully sponsored by CCHZ, which accepts responsibility for the orphans’ education and other needs to tertiary education level. In addition, the school collects full fee payments from 82 other children residing in nearby communities. The 7 occupied houses for orphans are each supervised by house ‘mothers’. In addition, psychosocial counselling is provided by two qualified social workers operating between the school and community
Main Purpose of the Job: A member of the senior management team, the financial controller will provide management of administration and financial functions for CCHZ team, providing financial management reporting. The role holder will also act as a champion for CCHZ financial policies, standards and procedures, coaching and mentoring staff and colleagues to ensure a thorough and complete understanding is maintained.
Position: Financial Controller
Reporting to: General Manager
Qualifications and experience required:
- 3- 5 years’ experience in a senior finance management position in the private or NGO sector
- Able to skilfully complete AFS, oversee statutory audit, and tax compliance
- Proficiency in English Language
Technical skills and behavioral competencies:
- Strong financial accounting skills
- Advanced level of computer skills
- Professional Skills
- Auditing background
- Ability to plan and organize
Key Performance Areas amongst others include
- Assist the GM in general management of the project
- Administer and manage Finance personnel in accordance with personnel policies and procedures
- Liaise with Admin team on budget availability for all new staff and consultant recruitment, hiring, and contracting
- Coordinate with the admin team in human resources management and development matters including performance appraisal and identification of training needs in Finance and to make recommendations to Senior Management for continued employment of finance staff who are well-trained
- Liaise with Senior Management and staff to ensure the maintenance of good employee relations and employment practices for the required high degree of morale and discipline at all times
- You are accountable for the integrity of the financial and analytical accounting and reporting, the preparation of the annual budget/monthly forecast and risk reporting
- Monitoring and tracking of the projects financial situation – you are expected to act as advisor on all financial / economic affairs for CCHZ teams (i.e. Efficiency of spend, cost-control and analysis of budget deviations, project controlling
- Contingency measures needed to respond to critical changes in the operating context
- Finance training & coaching of department coordinators & management team members)
Audit and Internal Controls:
- Prepare audit files
- Assist in preparing internal audit control systems
- Ensure internal and external audit comments and findings are responded to and are addressed timeously.
- Manage the annual external audit process to ensure it is effectively and efficiently completed for a clean audit report consistent with comprehensive implementation of smooth operating systems within the company’s operations
- To prevent fraud and internal risk management processes are in line with best operating practices.
- Direct all aspects of the project financial accounting system, including managing cash flow, tracking expenditures and preparing monthly financial reports
- Prepare detailed analysis of performance and include required detailed donor accounts and other donor reports as required; and, ensure accuracy and timeliness in accordance with the company’s deadlines and donor requirements.
- Ensure that monthly financial statements and management information are prepared and submitted in a timely manner to enable Senior Management and the Board to review and guide the company’s operations effectively
- Ensure proper implementation of all financial and administrative policies and procedures.
- Provide all information required by the GM and TC in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- To ensure that banking function is effectively managed to the benefit of CCHZ
- Monitor receipts and timely deposits
- Prepare cash flow projections
Office and Facility Management:
- You oversee the financial and day-to-day-management of offices & operational premises, maintain an adequate security setup
- To ensure that all fixed assets are controlled and managed.
- Oversee management of CCHZ facilities and resources, including physical plant, technology infrastructure, vehicle fleet, etc. Assess needs and make recommendations to Country Director.
- Assist in preparation of work plans, budgets, and procurement plans;
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the GM in order to ensure smooth operations of the company.