Program Analyst, Health Financing
Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Since 2012, Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI)/Zambia’s Health Financing (HF) team has been supporting the Ministry of Health (MoH) to improve resource allocation, financial management, and service delivery outcomes. In July 2018, the MOH launched it’s first ever Health Financing Strategy to run from 2017-2021. The overall goal of the Health Financing Strategy (HFS) is to attain adequate, sustainable, equitable, and predictable financing through existing and new sources for improved health outcomes. CHAI will support the MOH in evidence-based decision making to strengthen the strategic intervention areas of revenue collection, resource allocation and utilisation, pooling, purchasing mechanisms, and overall public financial management and information systems within the health sector.
CHAI is seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding technical capabilities to support the MoH implement Zambia’s health financing strategy agenda to improve health outcomes. The Program Analyst is part of the CHAI Zambia HF team and reports to the Health Financing Program Manager. The Program Analyst will work in close collaboration with the government and will interact on a regular basis with donors, NGOs, academic and research institutions and civil society. CHAI works in a fast-paced, results-driven environment and health financing reform is a top priority for the government. CHAI places great value on resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, flexibility, independence, energy, work ethic and humility.
This is a short term position from 1 March 2019 to 30 September 2019 only.
Work with CHAI staff and the MOH in generating analysis for key policy issues. This will include the following:
- Gathering evidence and conducting analyses to inform key policy decisions on the benefits package design for the insurance reform, resource management and utilization for financial management reform, and results based purchasing quality improvement reform
- Support national capacity building to ensure institutionalization of this work and sustainability
- Support MOH management and technical capacity, working directly with MOH at the headquarters level.
- Liaise with MOH and stakeholders working in Zambia, coordinating and participating in technical working groups.
- Leverage external expertise, working with universities, partners and other public insurance schemes to respond to key strategic questions.
- Document Zambia’s experience for donors, stakeholders and other governments.
- Support the HF team in all programmatic and logistical matters
- Provide support to core HF team to ensure that the objectives and deliverables of the CHAI Zambia HF Program are met
- Other responsibilities as assigned by CHAI leadership and the MOH.
- Degree in quantitative subjects such as mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, economics or acquired advanced quantitative skills through work or other experiences;
- 4+ years of professional experience in demanding, results-oriented environments in the public sector and/or private sector (e.g., management consulting);
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and quantitative skills, including Excel-based financial modeling and attention to detail;
- Experience working in public financing in developed or developing countries;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to achieve consensus amongst stakeholders;
- Ability to navigate ambiguous and complex processes and be flexible.