CMMB-Zamba - Location: Livingstone, Southern Province, Zambia, Lusaka
We believe in a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all.
We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with her.
We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods. We’re making an impact – learn more.
We believe in people.
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence and respect every day. We provide our employees with a competitive salary and a meaningful benefits package, with opportunities to learn and grow. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply. Read more from our President & CEO below.
CMMB is seeking a qualified WASH Officer with an environmental health background to facilitate and coordinate WASH interventions in Lusaka and Mwandi districts. The Officer shall be based in Mwandi with frequent travels to Lusaka.
The WASH project is funded by P&G (Procter and Gamble) and will run for one year. The project will implement community wells improvement, support community water management committees (CWMCs), water quality testing and treatment, hygiene promotion and WASH supplies distribution. The project will distribute P&G water purification sachets to cholera prone areas in Lusaka and the whole of Mwandi district. IEC dissemination, material distribution and social behavior change communication will be at the center of the project.
The WASH Coordinator will provide technical and programmatic support in field WASH sites.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director, the WASH Coordinator will monitor and train Community Volunteers on hygiene promotion.
Other responsibilities will also include training volunteers and community/ leaders on safe waste management practices, and providing support on activities related to environmental health at the health clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day to day operational and programmatic support to all WASH & Health activities.
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure WASH activities are implemented accordingly.
- Build capacity of Community Volunteers through waste management trainings and hygiene promotion.
- Oversee activities related to hygiene and environmental health promotion at field site and additionally, at the health facilities.
- Organize the various community level sanitation and hygiene campaigns as well as manage all WASH supplies and the IEC materials for distribution.
- Facilitate the process of capturing, documenting and disseminating project experiences, achievements, good practice as lesson learnt, case studies and progress reports related to WASH to concerned stakeholders.
- Work as a WASH team member and maintain smooth coordination and communication with other project staff members.
- Ensure gender equity and social inclusion in all aspects of WASH interventions.
- Participating in district level WASH meetings and other relevant coordination meetings.
Skills, Competencies and Personal Attributes:
- Diploma/Degree in Environmental Health with 1 to 3 years’ relevant experience with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming.
- Previous experience with community facilitation project.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regard to waste management and hygiene promotion.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills
- Ability to adapt communication strategies for different situations
Terms of offer
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence and respect every day. We provide our employees with a competitive salary and a meaningful benefits package, with opportunities to learn and grow. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.