The Catholic Relief Services (CRS) country program was established in 2000, and administers a varied and diversified portfolio of nutrition, health systems strengthening, food and security economic growth and livelihoods, orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), research, and HIV/AIDS programs. CRS services out the commitment of Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and the vulnerable overseas.
GIZ is investing Euro 2.7 million over a period of 30 months in Petauke and Katete. This project comes under the umbrella of “One World No hunger” initiative of the German Government. The aim of the project is to offer nutrition education to women so as to improve the dietary diversity score and attain a minimum acceptable diet for women and children under two. CRS through its partner Caritas will employ the Care Group model as the primary approach to achieve this objective.
The primary responsibility of the nutrition officer is to train the partner Field supervisors and Nutrition and Health promoters in the Care-group model which is the main methodology for transferring knowledge of essential nutrition actions to the beneficiaries. The candidate will be responsible for adapting lessons developed under other CRS projects to apply to the project area. The candidate will be the main trainer and supervisor for Field supervisors, Health Promoters and nutrition volunteers based in Katete district.
- To adapt Nutrition and health lessons under other CRS projects and apply them to the GIZ project.
- Train Field Supervisors in essential nutrition actions and other health, hygiene and nutrition topics.
- Help develop selection criteria for nutrition volunteers and support health promoters to form Care Groups and neighbor groups.
- Supervise 4 Field Supervisors; conduct accompanying supervisory visits to each health promoter at least twice per month providing constructive feedback to health promoters to ensure quality of services.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation activities, as required. Will be required to produce training reports and contribute to report writing for all reports required by the donor and CRS.
- Train Field level staff in data collection tools and support monthly data collection.
- Share any lessons learnt from the FSNP implementation with CRS and partners.
- Support and supervise Field Supervisors, health promoters and nutrition volunteers in the identification of participants of other FANSER activities being implemented in partnership with GIZ.
- Support health promoters in conducting community-wide health, hygiene and nutrition events.
- Ensure linkages and coordination with key stakeholders in Katete, including local health facilities, community-based government health workers, community leaders, and other local organizations implementing health and nutrition activities in Katete.
- Ensure health promoters and nutrition volunteers are referring children with moderate or severe under-nutrition correctly for recuperative services at the local health facility.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of diploma in public health or nutrition.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in health, hygiene and/or nutrition activities or related technical discipline, with at least 1 year experience in technical capacity with another NGO.
- Training in health or nutrition with experience in community development will be considered. Previous experience in health behavior change for improved household nutrition is desired.
- Experience working with health facilities.
- Knowledgeable about essential nutrition actions, growth monitoring and promotion, pre- and post-natal care, child health and pre-natal cards, and behavior change methodologies.
- Strong analytical, facilitation and coordination skills.
- Experience leading and inspiring people.
- Ability to transfer knowledge through trainings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; knowledge of local languages preferred.
- Ability to work in a team with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work within communities, while being sensitive to gender and local customs
- Willingness to travel extensively in the Field.
- Experience with Microsoft word, internet and excel packages.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.