Development Aid from People to People (DAPP), is a locally registered NGO engaged in development projects, in all the provinces of Zambia, in the fields of education, health, agriculture and other poverty alleviation programmes. DAPP seeks to employ a Communications and Promotions Officer at its Zambia Family Project. The position is tenable in Kabwe.
To ensure consistency in activities related to promotion and communication with the DAPP/ZAMFAM SC project and to ensure compliance with all organisational communication programmes and policies.
Reports to the Chief of Party at Project Level and/or their proxy and the Communications Officer at National Level
Duties and Essential Job Functions Builds and actively maintains relations and effective communication channels with current and potential key players in the social welfare sector. Establishes new systems for sending out information and promotion materials to Action Groups in liaison with the Communication Office at Partnership Office to come up with three minutes short films as demonstrations. Establishes and promotes interactive learning and inspirational topics for community radio groups. Increases the use of preventive messages through getting hold of various available (Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials from other organisations and distribute. In close consultation with the various levels of Leadership, identifies opportunities to draw attention to and promote the Project’s work, events, study topics and technical highlights. Keeps abreast of the communication and information activities of the ZAMFAM Project and commemorative national days. Takes part in other promotion and communication activities, including preparation, organising and conducting public events Acts as the liaison personnel with the media, and maintains a data base of all relevant media institutions in Zambia as well as promotional anecdotes eg. Photos, stories, reports, speeches and articles. Proof reads and edits quarterly and annual reports and makes lay outs in presentable formats, as requested. Prepares project presentations in formats required, including Power Point. Generates ideas and writes success stories for sharing on social media, website and various project reports. Takes photographic material from the field for promotional and reporting use. Ensures that new Radio programmes are sent and follows up on the trained community communication groups as well as designs new shooting scripts. Boosts and maintains strong relationships with various project staff, including project coordinators and leaders and gives prompt help on communications matters.
Degree/Diploma or equivalent in Journalism or Mass Communications; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and working experience.
Preferred qualities and skills
- Ability to identify and communicate relevant information to target audience in a professional manner.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills in English, with ability to communicate credibly, clearly and effectively.
- Proven skills and experience across multiple channels of promotion and communication.
- Proven abilities in writing press releases, speeches and strong written editing and proof reading skills.
- Strong script writing skills for both TV/Film and radio productions.
- Strong understanding of both the operations of the media and its audiences in Zambia and globally.
- Experience in design and print production, events management, market research and community surveying.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated high level of computer skills including MS Office suite with emphasis on publisher and power point, social media platforms, digital communication, film/video production and website editing and enhancement.
- Demonstrated ability to tell compelling stories for social media, website, TV and radio productions.
- Ability to take appealing photographic materials for various project uses.
- Ability to develop work plans and budgets of planned activities when required to.
- Sober minded, interactive and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and as well as being an integral part of a team environment
Minimum of two years for degree and 5 years for diploma holders experience in media and/or communications and public relations or similar position.