Caritas Chipata is a faith based organization, established by the Catholic Diocese of Chipata to promote integral human development, economic justice, human dignity and empowerment of the less privileged in the society. Caritas Chipata envisions an Eastern province where people are able to move out of poverty and create sustainable livelihoods for themselves as a result of improved policies, structures and services, increased participation by local people and accountable leaders who work for the common good. To obtain this Caritas Chipata has two strategic programs:
1. Governance program
2. Human Development program
The organization operates throughout the 26 parishes of the Diocese of Chipata which follows closely the boundaries of the Eastern Province of Zambia. Caritas Chipata is part of the Caritas network in Zambia with sister organisations in every Diocese and a Caritas national secretariat in Lusaka.
The Finance Department is responsible for Caritas financial management systems, operational and administrative procedures to ensure the adequate management of funds and other resources entrusted to Caritas from funding agencies.
GOAL OF THE POSITION
To ensure financial stability of the organization and compliance with accounting and bookkeeping principles.
- Assisting in the Capturing of Payments and Receipts into the Cash Books and ensuring that entries are coded correctly.
- Receiving of Purchase Requisitions/Cash Advance Form and having them signed by the Authorised Officials.
- Checking of Vehicle Logbooks/Fuel Requisitions and ensure that fuels requested is within the acceptable consumption rate.
- Raising of Fuel Coupons and having them signed by the Authorised Officials
- Following up Statments for fuels drawn, Summarising fuels drawn and having them checked and approved for reimbursement to various Filling Stations.
- Maintainance of Debtors and Creditors Ledger
- Maintenance of the Weekly Cash-flows and advising the Accountant and the Director on the Liquidity position of the Organization.
- Liaison with the Banks and Other Service Providers to ensure that Statements are collected timely for quick settlement of accounts.
- Assisting the Accountant, Assistant Accountant and Project Managers in the preparation of Annual Budgets and monthly Cash-flow Estimates.
- Ensuring that Paid Cheque Vouchers have all the attachments necessary and are properly filed in accordance with the Diocesan Record Policy.
- Attending to Auditors’ queries on issues pertaining to Payments and providing necessary documents and information when requested upon.
- Advice and Guide Admin and Program staff on the acceptable accounting procedures to follow when requesting for funds or liquidating advances taken.
- Contribute to the growth of the organization’s by participating in developmental programs.
- Keep up to date with the developments in the field and own area of expertise
- Attend management meeting when requested upon.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Preparing Payment Vouchers and ensuring that transactions are coded properly and have all the necessary Support Documents
- Taking Payment Vouchers for Checking and Approval by the mandated Officials
- Raising Cheques and having them signed by the Authorised Officials
- Entering the Signed Cheques into the Cheque Register and Handing them over to the Administrative Officer for Cashing/Distribution to the Payees
Internal: Accountant, director, department heads, administrative officer, office assistant
External: banks, auditors, insurance company, national government (statutory obligations)
- Minimum of Intermediary Professional Accounting qualification or comparable National qualification
- Member of National Accounting body
- Knowledge & experience in Accountaing packages like Pastel Accounting is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years of working experience in a similar role
- Experience within a NGO is preferable
- Experience with budgeting, costing and general accounting
- Analytical skills
- Organizational sensitivity
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Promoting core values of Caritas Chipata