Education Development Center - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The USAID Let’s Read Project is a 5-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented by the Education Development Center (EDC). USAID Let’s Read Project works to improve reading outcomes for children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
The Administrative Assistant provides support to all project activities including word processing, meeting coordination, scheduling, travel arrangements, answering phones, greeting office visitors, and other administrative tasks in support of the office as needed and/or required. The Administrative Assistant will effectively interact with a diverse staff, engage as a member of a team, accept feedback, troubleshoot questions or problems and seek help, supervision and support as needed. This position reports to the Office & HR Manger and will be located in Lusaka, Zambia.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare documents, photocopies, catalogs, and electronic data;
- Maintain Database system;
- Answer project telephone and greet guests;
- Navigate internet for data and track information;
- Maintain records and files;
- Create correspondence as needed;
- Coordinate appointments and travel schedules;
- Maintain office equipment;
- Provide inventory support;
- Review material for accuracy and quality, propose format or presentation enhancements;
- Perform various assigned duties to balance workload;
- Plan, organize and independently carry out workload priorities to ensure smooth and timely coordination and production;
- Apply organizational terms, procedures, systems, and policies; and
- Other duties, as assigned.
Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
The Administrative Assistant reports to the Office & Human Resources Manager.
The candidate for the position of the Administrative Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, vocational training or equivalent.
Skills and Experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience working in administration and finance;
- Proficiency in 3 or more computer applications, including word processing and data base management;
- Strong organizational and analytical skills;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; and
- Excellent communication in English required.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of (and proficiency in) Bantu languages highly preferred.
Job Closing Date: 25 January 2019
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.