Education Development Center - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The USAID Let’s Read Project is a 5-year, $48.9 million project in the five target provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, Northwestern and Western Zambia that works to improve reading outcomes for approximately 1.4 million children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grade 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
The IT Officer will be responsible for overseeing the installation, usage, and maintenance of the office IT system, as well as troubleshooting and being involved in IT solutions. S/he will provide maintenance and support to office IT equipment such as computers, printers and networking equipment and provide backup IT help services and troubleshooting to the Tablet/PTS hotline. This position is based in Lusaka, Zambia, and will work in close collaboration with HQ field office support and HQ Help Desk.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical set-up and needed support on all IT related issues, including installation and testing of workstations, printers, client software, upgrades, and configuration;
- Implement and document network operations, processes, and procedures;
- Deploy and implement office network according to HQ specifications;
- Serve as the office Network Administrator;
- Identify and solve possible problems in the network;
- Supervise installations performed by third parties such as cabling, Internet connectivity, etc.;
- Supervise and follow-up on equipment maintenance performed by other contractors;
- Provide support and troubleshoot for users in the Lusaka and provincial offices for all IT equipment;
- Implement and enforce security on the network and prevent misuse of IT resources;
- Responsible for IT inventory as required;
- Maintain robust network ensuring all required security patches are in place and monitoring the correct delivery of all antivirus updates;
- Travel to the provincial offices to provide support as required; and
- Other duties, as assigned.
The candidate for the position of the IT Officer shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Bachelor’s Degree in IT, Information Systems sciences or related field or IT Certification is highly preferred).
Skills and Experience:
- At least 4 years’ experience working in IT, including management of IT systems;
- Previous experience working on USAID-funded projects is preferred;
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment; and
- Proven problem-solving abilities.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of (and proficiency in) Chinyanja, Chitonga, Silozi, Lunda, Luvale, Kiikaonde and Icibemba languages highly preferred.
Job Closing Date: 25 January 2019
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.