Board Secretary / Director of Legal Services
Energy Regulation Board - Lusaka, Lusaka
Job Title: Board Secretary/Director Legal Services (Lusaka)
Grade: ERB 2
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Seven (7) [2 direct reports and 5 indirect reports]
The Energy Regulation Board (ERB) seeks to recruit a mature, sober-minded, dynamic and suitably qualified person to fill the position of Board Secretary/Director – Legal Services.
To provide secretarial services to the Board of Directors and advise the same on legal matters. To provide legal counsel to Management and Staff in order to ensure that the institution performs its regulatory functions in accordance with the provisions of the Energy Regulation Act and the Laws of Zambia in general. To oversee the licensing process.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
a) Provides legal advice and services to the Board of Directors, Management and Staff.
b) Provides legal counsel to Management and Staff to ensure the ERB performs its regulatory functions in accordance with the provisions of the Energy Regulation Act and Laws of Zambia in general.
c) Initiates and co-ordinates the periodic review of existing legislation in the energy sector to strengthen the statutory function of the Energy Regulation Board consistent with quality, safety and reliability of energy products and fuel supplies.
d) Advises the Board and Management on all licensing requirements which include the issuance and withdrawal of licenses for Undertakings. Provides litigation as appropriate.
e) Manages the development of a robust legal frame work indicating detailed policies and procedures for enforcing the energy laws, regulations and standards in the country.
f) Coordinates processing of new license applications and renewals from prospective investors and existing Undertakings in the energy sector to ensure compliance with the legal, technical and financial framework before recommending to the Board for approval.
g) Provides secretarial services to the Board.
h) Compiles Annual Report and ensures production within prescribed statutory period.
i) Supervises subordinate staff with regards performance, discipline and, among others, capacity building for optimal performance of the Department
j) Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- High level of planning and organization skills
- High level of confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a high degree of tact and diplomacy
- Maturity and Temperance
- Computer literate and conversant with Microsoft Office packages
- Excellent communication (oral, writing, public speaking and presentation) skills
- Grade 12 with 5 – O-levels credits or better including English and mathematics
- Bachelor of Laws Degree
- Master of Laws Degree will be an added advantage
- Must be an advocate of the High Court of Zambia with a valid practicing certificate
- Minimum fifteen (15) years practicing as an Advocate with at least five (5) years working in either Public Service or Corporate at Director level
- At least three (3) years’ experience working as a Board/Company Secretary
- Member of Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators an added advantage