Chief Executive Officer
FINCA - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is directly responsible for the overall management of the subsidiary. This includes strategy formulation and execution, adherence to company policies, regulations, national laws amongst other duties.
The CEO is the ultimate steward of FINCA’s brand promise by strengthening the quality of the customer experience. He/she will uphold FINCA’s image, reputation and promote excellent internal and external customer experience, growth and profitability in line with the organization’s mission.
The CEO will ensure that systems are in place to ensure all employees operate to the highest standards of performance by achieving their stated Key Performance Indicators. As CEO, he/she will be a role model and work through employees to foster an environment that breeds innovation and is supportive of a high performance culture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure that the subsidiary follows financial policies in line with FINCA Microfinance Holdings, national and international regulations.
- Grow shareholder value and drive profitability.
- In co-operation with the Regional office and FINCA Headquarters, identify new funding sources and providers, and cultivate relationships with existing sources.
- Assist the Regional office and FINCA Headquarters in their identification of and dealings with potential and existing funding providers and negotiate with funding providers as appropriate.
- Mobilize savings and deposits.
- Identify and develop new funding sources.
- Deliver agreed annual budget: (ROA, ROE, Portfolio Yield, Outreach both Savings and Loans).
2. Customer Experience
- Oversee the development and implementation of systems that ensure a consistent and excellent customer experience.
- Maintain rapport with different customer segments through regular interaction.
- Uphold FINCA’s image, reputation and promote excellent customer experience within the organization by making this one of the core values and the major differentiating factor from the competition.
- Enforce and hold each employee responsible for ensuring excellent and consistent internal and external customer experience.
3. Risk and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with local laws, the Charter of the subsidiary; FINCA and subsidiary policies (including the SGPM), procedures, plans and agreements; decisions of subsidiary governing bodies as well as headquarter and regional office supervisor(s) (collectively the “set of rules”, and act in the spirit of this “set of rules”
- Solve any compliance problems though institutionalized channels of subsidiary governing bodies as well as headquarter and regional office supervisor(s), using appropriate management judgment
- Ensure that governing bodies as well as headquarter and regional office supervisor(s) are adequately involved/included in relevant decision-making processes, and adequately and regularly informed about the state of the subsidiary and relevant developments in the subsidiary or affecting the subsidiary
- Compliance and Governance: Ensure that the subsidiary is compliant with Central Bank regulations, Tax regulations and Corporate policies.
- Audit: Ensure that internal and external financial audits are satisfactory.
- Risk Management: Manage the business risks to produce an effective and cost appropriate Risk mitigation structure.
4. Products and Channels
- Development and management of FINCA’s total product portfolio (Asset, Liability and Transactional products) as well as Third Party products (e.g. Insurance, Remittances etc) marketed via FINCA’s channels.
- Development of a portfolio of customers across a range of private retail and corporate as well as public sector entities to provide FINCA’s financial services with a focus on Liability Products (e.g. Term Deposits) and Transactional Services (e.g. Collections and Payroll).
5. People and Leadership
- Provide leadership, management and strategic direction for FINCA employees.
- Cultivate a high performance working environment, sense of belonging (“team spirit”), and affinity to FINCA’s mission and brand values among the work force.
- Anticipate staffing needs, participate in recruitment efforts for senior positions, attract the right people in support of growth and outreach plans.
- Retain, motivate and maximize productivity of staff through effective leadership, mentoring, transparent communication, performance management, and career planning.
- Set and successfully communicate performance measurements and targets to staff in a way that drives business growth, provides positive motivation for staff, and aligns with FINCA’s corporate strategy.
The CEO has the following direct reports:
- IS Manager
- Credit Manager
- IC Manager
- Head of Banking Services
- Company Secretary / Legal Counsel
- Takes responsibility for delivering overall business objectives
- Providing world class professional output in all that we do.
- Providing active and effective consultation and information sharing.
- Exhibits the passion to create a great business of scale.
- Take a responsible approach to work and decision making that ties business outcomes to the individual.
People & Leadership
- Ensure all employees are aligned with company strategy and fully engaged.
- Provide Leadership for the country business team. Drive and Motivate a high performing team that individually exceeds goals and targets and together results in an outcome of excellence.
- MBA degree (or equivalent) in related discipline required
- Banking 4 years minimum, 8 years preferred (commercial – retail)
- Credit 2 years minimum, 4 years preferred
- Senior Management experience in a financial sector institution
- Credit and Risk Management exposure preferred
- Proven people management skills
- Strategic planning exposure a must
- Fluency in English
- FMH, FI, Regional Director, Board of Directors, MB, HODs, Regional HUB Team, Regulatory and Professional bodies
- Availability to travel up to 50% of the time