First Quantum Minerals Ltd - Solwezi, North-Western
Requisition Number: 503677
Contract Type: Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- The position holder will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality and any other regulations as required by the company
- Determination of all elements/compounds of interest as per the analysis schedule in samples from Copper Concentrate receiving area, Isasmelt, MSEF, PSC, Anode furnaces, Anode casting and Acid Plants as per laid down procedures
- Operation of the X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) spectrometer, Leco Sulphur analyzer, Satmagan and bead making equipment
- Conduct shift physical checks on all Laboratory equipment and gases availability and report back to the shift Chemist
- Conduct fusion for all solid samples for XRF finish
- Carry out any other task as assigned by the immediate superior
- Maintaining of Good House Keeping
- Closely monitoring the usage of consumables (acids/reagents)
- Encouraging two way communications
- Attending daily team toolbox meetings
- Act in line with Company goals and values
- Minimum Qualification shall be advanced certificate in Laboratory Science or Assayer Certificate or diploma in Laboratory Science
- Must have a valid silicosis certificate
A minimum of 2 years relevant experience in the Laboratory
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- be loyal to the Company.
- behave with integrity.
- show respect for others.
- work co-operatively.
- be open and honest.
- Feel free to express opinions and ideas.
- Training in handling of chemicals
- Training in use of Laboratory instruments
- Shift work
- Training in analytical method/procedure application
- Training in basic computers
- Training in LIMS
- Valid silicosis
Applications close: 08 Oct 2018 FLE Daylight Time