First Quantum Minerals Ltd - Solwezi, North-Western
Assistant Operator – Anode Loading Bay (Dispatch)- Smelter
Requisition Number: 503707
Contract Type: Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensure that the forklifts, anode strapping machines, tilting tables and weighing scales are being operated efficiently and safely within prescribed limits to achieve dispatch targets
- Ensure quality inspection of anodes before strapping
- Responsible for bundling and strapping of anodes
- Shifting of bundles from the strapping area to loadng bay
- Record & Tallying the number of bundles strapped in a shift
- Inspection and scanning of bundles before loading on trucks
- Loading of bundles on trucks in accordance with the schedule provided by the supervisor
- Record the number of bundles loaded on trucks
- Ensure good housekeeping at the anode loading bay
- Actively seek more information and assistance from other sources as required to diagnose and correct any problems with operating equipment and processes (e.g. maintenance, metallurgists)
- Other duties as directed by the anode loading bay supervisor
- Grade 12 certificate
- Valid Drivers License
- Minimum 2 years of experience in operating the forklifts.
- Proficient in the use of computers and standard computer applications such as Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with safety systems, permit systems and procedures in a process plant environment
- Sound communication skills and the ability to write clearly and concisely
- Responsible and punctual approach to work
- Ability to follow instructions and to give instructions where required
- Good at implementing changes in operating practice
- Systematic monitoring and assessment skills
- Truck loading must be followed in sequence as per the specified loading schedule
- Distribution of trucks in the loading area must be strictly controlled
- Care must be taken to ensure specified anode bundles are loaded on the correct trucks
- Valid Silicosis certificate
Applications close: 16 Oct 2018 FLE Daylight Time