First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Primarily to assist with the maintenance of the Primary Smelting plants at the Kansanshi Smelter.
- · Adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- · Assist in the development of the organizational structure for the section, assisting in the recruitment and training of maintenance personnel, ensuring that organizational needs are met.
· Participate in the development and review of targets for the mechanical department, helping to achieve the business objectives and manage the performance results of the resources allocated, to achieve the targets and plans in the area of his appointment.
· Continuously review the ordering of mechanical spares and inventories held with the objective of eliminating the risk of operational downtime in case of equipment/component failure.
· Continuously asses the mechanical asset inventory with the view of assisting in the development and continuous improvement of the implemented maintenance systems, to achieve or better the targeted availabilities for meeting the business objectives.
· Conduct regular inventory assessments and maintenance plan reviews helping set operating and capital refurbishment budgets for the mechanical assets/equipment base of your section.
· Manage the mechanical equipment under your control to achieve the designed performance capacity, where required schedule and execute refurbishment to restore equipment to the required operating integrity/efficiency. Proactive and practical management of the Planned maintenance program in your section
· Manage the mechanical department resources under your control in effectively assisting the Mechanical Engineering Superintendent and the overall smelter team.
· Assist in planning and execution of the resources under your control for all planned and unplanned smelter maintenance shutdowns.
· Cost effectively manage all resources placed under your control to ensure strict adherence to sound management principles for the effective and efficient execution of maintenance activities to safely achieve maximum plant availability, at the lowest practically achievable cost.
· Continuously monitor your resources for strict adherence to the relevant engineering standards and specifications and execute appropriate action/s for non-compliance.
· Through effective leadership and mentorship cultivate, nurture and foster an “enabling” and “continuous improvement” culture.
· Manage the continuous improvement of your department through operational excellence.
· Manage the departmental costs to achieve the maximum business benefit.
· Manage the human resources in a manner that will ensure that the business objectives are met with minimal labor turnover.
· Ensure that good work ethics is sustained by effectively managing discipline with reference to absenteeism, lateness, overtime, misconduct, etc. within the department.
· Meaningfully participate in the formulation of measurable annual service level agreements with the smelter production department for the engineering department.
· Identify and help implement training and development opportunities for direct reports on an ongoing basis, with a particular focus on developing the local Zambian based employees.
· Regularly review career performance, helping identify potential talent- implementing the actions agreed to with the subordinates, coaching and counseling people on an ongoing basis to ensure continuous growth.
- Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Must be a full Member of EIZ
- Previous appointment as a Maintenance Supervisor or engineer in a
- Smelting plant with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- First-hand experience in the maintenance of Smelting plants with equipment including :
- Isa Smelt Furnace or equivalent
- Waste Heat Boiler
- Conveyor belts and winches
- Maintenance of overhead Cranes
- Dry Electrostatic Precipitator including rapping systems
- Pneumatic Dust Conveying System
- Drag Chain Conveyors
- Feed Water and Circulation Pumps for the WHB
- CS Piping Works and structural storage bins
- ID fans
- Hydraulic Systems
- Pneumatic Systems
- Cooling Water Reticulation Systems
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Very good communicator with strong skills/knowledge ability
- Computer Literacy
- Overtime and standby work when required
- Fluency in English
- Depth perception
- Hydraulics and pneumatics experience
- Proactive attitude towards the planned maintenance system
Applications close: 25 Feb 2019 FLE Standard Time