First Quantum Minerals Ltd - Solwezi, North-Western
Requisition Number: 503698
Contract Type: On-going
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Zambia.
- Ensure appropriate Safety Management systems are in place for all areas of the mine site.
- Deliver and promote a Safety culture within the company and promote adherence to safe operating procedures for all mine site activities.
- Develop and implement the Safety management system to ensure incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
- Ensure all required training in the use of the Safety management system is undertaken to promote use of the programme.
- Monitor evaluate and review Safety policy and practice, make recommendations and create and implement new policies and procedures as required.
- Identify Safety training needs for site personnel, develop and ensure delivery of training as required ensuring accurate and timely recording of training completed.
- Advise the management team on current and emerging health, safety and welfare legislation, including evaluation and recommendation of options and generation of action plans to ensure compliance across the organisation.
- Support the management team to maintain safe systems and processes, through the provision of specialist advice, coaching and practical support within the departments.
- Assist fellow managers to implement departmental safety systems and procedures to meet specific requirements, such as accident reporting and route cause analysis in a consistent and effective manner.
- Implement safety audits to evaluate the effectiveness of Health and Safety systems and procedures to identify and implement improvements.
- Ensure routine health and safety activities and checks are undertaken e.g. testing of portable electrical appliances and the review of risk assessments.
- Vigorously ensure that thorough and documented investigations, applying root-cause analysis, are completed for all safety incidences ensuring that key findings are evaluated and processes are developed to prevent recurrence.
- Manage actions required to mitigate the impact and likelihood of health and safety risks.
- Build a ‘team’ environment within the Safety team.
- Manage, track and report on continuous improvement activities and the Safety culture across the mine site.
- Approve and implement any capital improvement projects within the Safety department.
- Implement the structure, approved manning levels and resources to deliver the Safety plan.
- Maintain staff development and training programs, particularly skills transfer and mentoring in the Safety team.
- Actively manage development & succession planning for key talents and key roles.
- Champion and implement key organisational initiatives through the department.
- Produce daily and monthly safety reports.
- Prepare quarterly and annual operations budgets/forecasts for Safety.
- Consideration of costs to reduce operational costs.
- Implement the FQM Way culture across the Process Plant team, “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by General Manager.
- Tertiary qualification in Health and Safety or equivalent.
- Expert knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and application in a mining environment.
- Extensive knowledge of effective health and safety management strategies and best practices
- Excellent leadership, presentation and motivational skills.
- Expert negotiating skills.
- Excellent knowledge, understanding and application of industry best practice Health and Safety strategies for large-scale, continuous operational mining activities.
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills with understanding of Health and Safety process improvement and incident control strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate reports in both an upward and downward direction.
- Excellent project management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Strong computers skills especially MS Office.
- At least 8 years related experience a similar position.
- Extensive supervisory experience.
- Experience in the mining industry highly regarded.
- Fluency in English essential.
Applications close: 19 Oct 2018 FLE Daylight Time