Senior Specialist (Metallurgy)
First Quantum Minerals Ltd - Location: Zambia, North-Western
Requisition Number: 505227
Contract Type: Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Monitor, analyse and report on the operation of plant equipment items and processes in the Primary Smelting Section using a range of tools and systems.
- Carry out data analysis and process calculations using computer-based systems.
- Write technical reports and give technical presentations to internal and external audiences.
- Assist in the maintenance and further development of the PI system.
- Identify process and equipment problems; develop strategies, changes and modifications to solve these problems.
- Identify opportunities for equipment and process improvements.
- Develop and manage site-based sampling and test-work to define and implement process improvement opportunities.
- Assist with (and manage) projects to improve plant operations and safety.
- Assist operators and maintenance workers with fault-finding and problem solving.
- Offer technical advice and process information to operators and maintenance workers to assist in achieving plant safety and production targets.
- Assist in keeping the Plant Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) up-to-date.
- Develop operating procedures, risk assessments, safe work instructions and other similar documents as required.
- Provide technical supervision and assistance during plant shutdowns.
- Other duties as directed by the Superintendent – Technical.
- At-least a University Degree in Process Engineering, Mineral Processing, Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy or equivalent. Preference will be to those who posses Masters or above in the mentioned discipline.
- At least 5 years experience in a process plant. Experience in a hot metal plant, hydromet plant or mineral dressing plant would be an advantage.
- Highly-skilled user of standard computer applications such as Microsoft Excel. Programming experience in VBA or another language would be an advantage. Previous experience with OSIsoft PI systems would be highly regarded.
- Able to build mass and energy balances. Experience with HSC Chemistry, METSIM or similar applications would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with engineering drawings.
- Ability to carry out engineering design calculations, and to review the calculations of others.
- Advanced level of literacy and numeracy.
- High level of analytical and communication skills and the ability to present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Critical thinking and data analysis.
- Good at implementing changes in operating practice.
- Develop a high level of knowledge of the equipment, process flow sheet and process control used in the plant.
- Analyse and solve problems.
- Report on plant and process data.
Beware of imposters who call applicants purporting to be HR Officers and requesting money for work. First Quantum Minerals does not request applicants to pay any fees for possible placement within FQM in Zambia. Please report any activities of this nature to the Zambian Police and Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), and in addition call and inform FQM Security at Kansanshi on 7 and +44.
Applications close: 15 Feb 2019 FLE Standard Time