Senior Supervisor, Refractory & Acid Linings
First Quantum Minerals Ltd - Location: Solwezi, Northwestern Province, Zambia, North-Western
Requisition Number: 501099
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Categories: Engineering, Operations / General Management, Smelter
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Day-to-day monitoring and recording of the refractory lined and associated equipment’s performance and where required, schedule and execute their periodical refurbishment
- Manage all refractory resources to ensure the effective and efficient execution of maintenance
- Monitor and manage the department resources for adherence to the relevant engineering standards
- Cultivate, nurture and foster an enabling and continuous improvement culture
- Manage the departmental costs to achieve the maximum business benefit
- Assist the Refractory Superintendent with the design and implementation of systems and controls that will ensure that the site is maintained: – At the required performance level and within the prescribed legal and technical requirements – That will achieve a safe and environmentally acceptable operation, and – Will meet the required production-rated capacity at minimum life cycle cost
- Identify and implement training and development opportunities for all direct reports on an ongoing basis
- Quarterly review the career performance with identified talent and implement the actions. Couch and council people on an ongoing basis to ensure improved performance
- A relevant technical degree in metallurgy, chemical or mechanical engineering.
Experience with the following will be an advantage: Having worked in a smelting environment, Knowledge of refractory installation practices, Lance Immersion Smelting Technology, Pierce Smith Convertors, Six In-line, Electric Furnaces , High Pressure Off Gas Boilers protection linings, Anode Copper Finishing Furnaces, Anode Casting Wheels
- Bold initiative
- Thinking safety
- Upholding quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving quantity & attendance
- Good time management
- Well discipline
- Co-operative and communicative
Applications close: 01 Jan 2019 FLE Standard Time