Healthy Kids/Brighter Future is looking for a full-time Communication Officer to work in our Lusaka office. We are looking for a passionate innovative self-starter who can energize our communications — elevate our brand, tell compelling stories and position HK/BF to achieve our strategic goals. Reporting to the President, the Communication Officer will set, guide, and implement the strategy for all communication and public relations to consistently articulate HK/BF’s mission. The Communication Officer will work closely with the Special Assistant to the President and other staff and partners across sites. S/he will play an integral role in the success of HK/BF’s program outreach efforts. As HK/BF begins to rebrand, the Communication Officer will play a lead role in developing content and materials for the brand and supporting its roll-out. Our ideal candidate is organized and strategic and works well under pressure. As a member of the HK/BF team, s/he should be collaborative and responsive to feedback.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and execute an ongoing communications strategy that articulates the mission, work, and impact of Healthy Kids/Brighter Future to donors, partners, program participants, government agencies and other external stakeholders, including the Zambian general public. The plan should include targeted goals, objectives, methods, quantifiable outcomes, and timelines.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, reporters, donors and stakeholder audiences that will help advance our work
- Identify platforms and secure opportunities to promote Healthy Kids/Brighter Future including but not limited to internet, television, radio, and newspapers.
- Supervise the generation of content that engages audience and leads to measurable action. Manage the development, creation, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, newsletters, appeals, event materials, brochures, annual reports, social media and website.
- Manage HK/BF’s website, keeping content dynamic, fresh, accurate, and updated.
- Develop and implement a social media strategy and generate content. Includes, but is not limited to, Facebook and Instagram.
- Assist the Programs Department in developing materials, content and strategies for communicating key messages to partners, students and community members.
- Generate photographs and stories from the field to help capture the impact of our program.
- Monitor, track and analyze the effectiveness of communication activities and provide data driven strategies and tactics.
- Manage and distribute the bi-monthly e-newsletters and lead other email campaigns for the organization. Tasks include: writing articles, designing layouts, conducting story interviews, and managing email list.
- Strengthen and expand our social media presence, including use of advertising channels.
- Provide leadership and speech writing and content creation expertise to the senior Leadership team
- In collaboration with the President, assist with the implementation of an annual development plan within Zambia, with targeted goals, objectives, methods, quantifiable outcomes, and timelines.
- Generate content and manage communications for annual and special fundraising campaigns, including direct mail and other solicitations.
- Assist with leading, developing and managing special events.
- Assist the President in identifying potential funding opportunities in Zambia
- Assist with drafting and submitting new and renewal funding proposals to companies for corporate social responsibility.
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field
- 3-5 years of communications experience, ideally in a leadership role, covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor/partner communications.
- Experience communicating with complex government agencies
- The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and compelling messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style. Experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills. Knows how to craft and tell stories.
- A strong track record as someone who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Positive energy, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Entrepreneurial and innovative.
- Proficient in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Exceeds proficiency in digital platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Google Analytics, MailChimp and other social and digital applications.
- Working knowledge of database management, content management systems, and design and web software is a plus
This is a full-time position, based out of Healthy Kids/Brighter Future’s Lusaka office. HK/BF is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce. Please email cover letter, resume, one sample of work and compensation expectations with “Communication Officer” in the subject line.