Izwe Loans - Lusaka, Lusaka
The Compliance Officer is a senior management position rendering strategic and operational advice on the legal impact of management decisions and supports the business in ensuring that the internal and external regulatory environment is strictly adhered to.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Legal Strategy and Compliance
- Rendering of strategic and operational advice on the legal impact of decisions
- Keeping up to date with changes and developments in the legal/regulatory environment by reading journals, monitoring legislation and having contact with legal practitioners.
- Ensuring compliance with all statues in Zambia
- Advising Izwe on the law and how it may affect Izwe operations
- Handling all legal documentation requirements by regulators
Ongoing Operational Compliance
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with relevant Acts and circulars from external stakeholders such as the BOZ, SEC, LuSE, ZRA, FIC, CCPC and any other agencies that regulate the financial services industry
- Responsible specifically for Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorist Financing Compliance and related training for staff and the Board
- Responsible for the overall organizational KYC “Know Your Customer” Policy and execution across the business.
- Responsible for implementation of all internationally binding compliance requirements such as FATCA as applicable
- Acts as Single Point of Contact (SPC) for all internal Whistle Blowers for policy infractions
- Serves both as a liaison officer with the FIC as well as a point-of-contact for all employees on issues relating to money laundering and terrorist financing.
- Focal point for reporting to management and the board on all infractions related to overall entity compliance
- Responsible for internal policy compliance and maintaining a live register of corrective actions being taken
- Responsible for ensuring overall regulatory inspection success for the business in conjunction with other departmental heads
- Monitors the performance of the Compliance Program and relates activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness.
Advisory and Litigation Services
- Reviewing all contracts to which Izwe is a party. This may include, but not be limited to, landlords, suppliers and clients
- Preparing and drafting legal documents if necessary
- Acting on behalf of Izwe in contentious legal matters and representing the Company in court, if necessary. This may include debt recovery, Labour cases, and other matters.
- Organizing further contact with legal practitioners to negotiate work, contracts and to gather information to assist in the preparation of case materials when needed
- Analyzing the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents
- Examining legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuit
- Gathering evidence to formulate defence or to initiate legal actions, by such means as interviewing clients and witnesses to ascertain the facts of a case
- Supporting the activities of recovery closely with the Collections Team, where necessary
- Following up on external litigation firms where applicable
Any other ad-hoc responsibilities that may be assigned by Management.
Qualification & Skills
- An appropriate business, risk management or legal degree such as BAcc, ACCA, CIMA or LLB.
- At least 5 years’ experience, 3 years of which have been in a similar role in a highly regulated business
- A sound understanding of Compliance programs and regulations, including Fraud Prevention, Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Bribery, Countering of Financing of Terrorism.
- Good reporting writing skills
- Good ethical standing