Jhpiego - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations from the community to the national level, building sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches. For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Jhpiego invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the following positions .The successful candidates selected for these positions will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
Overview: To provide oversight and management of the sub grants under Jhpiego/Zambia’s country office portfolio. S/he advises and assists in the design, development, and oversight of the sub-grants management policies, procedures and practices. Provides guidance and interpretation of grants policy for program staff as well as grantees. Analyzes and evaluates grant applications, proposals, and awards to ensure adherence to grants management policies and donor requirements. Ensures proper negotiation of the terms and conditions for grants and views and analyzes budget estimates for reasonableness and consistency. He/she will be required to travel to the field to conduct compliance visits to sub grantees.
- Work with the project leads, technical staff, and the Finance and Administration Director to oversee the process of selecting grantees for award. This will include establishing selection criteria for sub-grantees and conducting pre-award assessments to determine the responsibility of prospective grantees and providing feedback to all the applicants.
- Make determinations of risk profiles of prospective grantees and recommend appropriate approaches to mitigate the risks identified, including the development of special award conditions.
- Ensure sub-grantee meets selection criteria, conduct budget analysis and negotiations and complete submission of award documents for review and approval by Finance and Administration Director, project lead, and/or Country Director.
- Lead conversations with selected sub grantees and project teams to develop final scope and budget of sub grants.
- Provide technical assistance to staff and grantees on administrative policies and procedures for grants management. Technical assistance on the following topics will be provided in conjunction with the Finance and Administration Director :- Jhpiego grants management policies and procedures, Policies and procedures for procurement under sub-grants ,Interpretation of donor regulations, Preparation of solicitations (RFA, RFPs) ,Modifications and Grantee monitoring.
- Lead capacity building activities with sub grantees to strengthen financial management.
- Coordinate the monthly reporting process for grantees including financial, technical and monitoring report on progress.
- Monitor expenditure against the budget and provide recommendations for budget alignment.
- Develop system to monitor implementation progress, and monitor on an ongoing basis by reviewing reports and site visits.
- Document lessons learned and use to inform scope, budget, and management adjustments.
- Monitor compliance with special award conditions by grantees.
- Work with the Senior Program Officer and Jhpiego/Baltimore to obtain prior approvals and waivers as required by Jhpiego and/or donor regulations.
- Conduct site visits to selected grantee organizations to directly observe project implementation, provide project management support, train on donor rules and regulations.
- Maintain all comprehensive award file on each grantee in line with Jhpiego policies.
- Inventory of property in grantees’ custody.
- VAT reports of grantees.
- Audit reports of grantees.
- Conduct investigations to resolve contractual issues/problems/disputes arising from grants and make recommendations to the Senior Finance Manager/Finance and Administration Director and Country Director for resolution.
- Participate in annual work planning progress reporting per donor requirement.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- CPA/ACCA Finalist or equivalent.
- On-going Master’s degree in business or related post-graduate qualification.
- Minimum of five (5) years of post-qualification experience (2 years at senior level) in grants management in a senior position in a reputable NGO or development agency.
- Communication and interpersonal skills – Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with staff at all levels.
- Tax Knowledge – In depth knowledge of Zambia income tax regulations.
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations.
- Supervisory skills- Ability to Mentor and train other Finance staff.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft office suite.
- Knowledge of sub awards and mandatory award requirements.