John Snow, Inc.
Supporting an AIDS-Free Era
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the recently awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counseling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Title: Human Resources Assistant (HRA)
Reporting to: Human Resources Manager
Position Type: Full Time
The Human Resources Assistant is a full-time position based in the Lusaka office. S/he will assist with the administration of the day-to-day operations of the human resources functions and duties. The HR assistant carries out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: departmental development, HRIS, employee relations, training and development, benefits, compensation, organization development, executive administration, and employment.
Recruitment/New Hire Process
- Participate in the recruitment process i.e. job ads posting; organize resumes and job applications; gather information applicants; collaborate with recruitment leads and schedule interviews; run background checks; verify references and salaries, follow-up with successful candidates including assisting with the new hire process;
- Assist with drafting hire letters and contracts for new employees and ensure that letters/contracts are duly signed and filed appropriately.
- Oversee the completion of compensation and benefit documentation (NAPSA forms, staff locator, bank details, etc.).
- Assist in orientating new employees by sharing on-boarding packages and explaining company policies;
- Assist in drafting and filing the necessary paperwork during employee termination including supporting employees with completing termination paperwork such as exit checklist, exist interviews, etc.
- Prepare payroll summary by providing relevant data, like new recruits, terminations, annual performance salary adjustments, etc.
- Collaborate with the administration team for issuance of Staff ID Cards, office keys, etc.
- Serve as a point person and attend to questions/queries employees may have regarding their position.
- Maintain up-to-date HR files and databases for both, hard and soft copies;
- Enroll employees in the HRIS and ensure all supporting documentation are attached;
- Update and maintain employee benefits, employment status, and similar records – i.e. grievances, performance reviews, and disciplinary actions;
- Monitor and track employee performance assessments to ensure documentation is complete and filed;
- Process documentation and prepare reports relating to personnel activities (staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, etc.;
- Opening up a new file for newly hired employees and ensure completeness of documentation and information in line with the JSI Personnel File Checklist;
- Degree in Human Resources Management, Public/Business Administration or related field;
- At least 2 – 3 years employment experience in Administration or a human resource role;
- Registered member of the Zambia Institute of Human Resources Management;
- Excellent English, written and oral communications skills;
- Strong leadership capabilities including organizational and problem solving skills;
- Good interpersonal skills to form effective working relationships with people at all levels;
- Ability to deal appropriately with sensitive issues while maintaining a high level of confidentiality at all times;
- Self-motivated with an ability to work effectively with different cultures; and
- Ability to use electronic platforms i.e. emails, Microsoft Office, HR databases.