John Snow Inc - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the recently awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counselling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Title: Operations Director
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Deputy Director – Finance and Operations
The Operations Director is a full-time position based in the Lusaka office. S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight of the program administrative operations. S/he works in close coordination with the Finance Director, HR Director and the Procurement Director and oversees Office Administration, Fleet, Inventory, Information Technology for the Lusaka Office as well the three Provincial Offices. This Position directly supervises the Office Manager, IT Manager, Fleet Manager and indirectly supervises the Provincial Operations Manager. This position is part of the Finance and Operations Management team and reports to the Deputy Director of Finance and Operations.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist the Finance and Operations Director with daily program management, contributing to program decision-making by providing input on operations, fleet, IT and general administrative status of the program.
- Collaborate with the Deputy Director of Finance and Operations, and other key personnel and technical teams to ensure coherence between programmatic activities and operational provisions.
- Assist the Finance and Operations Director in addressing contract-related issues with all vendors and sub partners, ensuring that JSI and USAID policies and regulations are being adhered to.
- Supervise and ensure that all contracts for Operations purposes are closely monitored and renewed when required. This includes office leases for the Lusaka Office and the Provincial Offices
- Ensure smooth working environment in both the Lusaka and Provincial Offices
- Conduct continuous content monitoring and analysis of the operating environment;
- Budget custodian for operations, administration, equipment, supplies and responsible for monitoring, tracking and analyzing expenses against and within approved budgets.
- Provide oversight for all fleet and transport related activities and ensure adequate internal systems and controls are implemented to ensure the effective management of fleet security and maintenance, fuel usage, coordination and supervision of drivers etc.
- Work closely with the Provincial Operations Manager to ensure that all Provincial Operations functions and Systems including, Fleet, IT and Administration, are working effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure that all standard documentation requirements are audit ready in all project offices in the area of Administration, Fleet, and IT.
- Ensure that the monthly close-out of admin, IT and fleet reports are completed correctly and on schedule by all admin staff.
- Oversee the management of project inventory to ensuring that all inventory listings are maintained accurately and up to date as per USAID and JSI guidelines. Establish checks and procedures at sites and offices to ensure inventory records are maintained up to date.
- Supervise the management of office administration throughout the project, maintaining systems to ensure adequate tracking and monitoring of office and Provincial rental agreements, maintenance contracts, administrative services and utilities, office stationary and supplies etc.; ensuring that vendor billing is promptly reconciled and paid.
- Actively participate in the design and preparation of SOPs in Office Administration, IT and Fleet and review Operations Manual as required.
- Ensuring consistent implementation of JSI administrative policies and standards, and ensuring compliance with USAID regulations.
- Supervise and provide leadership in Admin, Fleet and IT in the Lusaka Office as well as Provincial Offices
- Any other duties as assigned by the COP, DFO and DDFO
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree/Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance or equivalent
- Masters’ Degree in Business Administration, Finance or a relevant post graduate Master’s degree from a recognized university or equivalent is required
- Demonstrated experience in managing and supervising a team
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and eager to work in a fast-paced multicultural organization
- A minimum fifteen (15) years’ experience including a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in administration and operations management of U.S. assistance programs of similar size, complexity and setting
- Experience in U.S. government cost principles, rules and regulations and application of these in program decision-making
- Demonstrated experience supporting and working with program technical staff to ensure resources are used efficiently and to accurately account for expenditures
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Exceptional computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably.