Senior Field Finance Specialist
John Snow Inc - Location: Zambia, Lusaka
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counselling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Title: Senior Field Finance Specialist
Position Type: Full-time
The Zambia SAFE Senior Field Finance Specialist will oversee and review financial accounts for SAFE’s 3 Provinces of Central, Copperbelt, and Northwestern. S/he will be a resource for Provincial staff in managing monthly financial close out and meeting transaction documentation requirements. The Senior Field Finance Specialist will support Provincial staff to manage all aspects of JSI’s financial system, including monthly cash flow requests, financial documentation and reporting. S/he will ensure Provincial offices are cost-effective, efficient and accountable throughout the life of the program. The Senior Field Finance Specialist reports to the Deputy Director of Finance and Operations.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- In collaboration with the Deputy Director of Finance and Operations, support the 3 Provincial Offices to maintain financial systems in line with JSI policies and procedures;
- Provide accounting support to Provincial office staff, including maintaining the JSI field accounts system and ensuring timely reconciliation of advances.
- Review field cash flow projections for correctness and completeness
- Review and certify the monthly field accounts documentation, including QuickBooks vouchers and reconciliation reports;
- Ensure timely monthly financial reporting and submission from each Provincial office;
- Monitor amount and age of outstanding advances;
- Assist in clearing any Field Link comments related to Provincial offices;
- Ensure regular communication with Provincial office staff for all financial-related matters;
- Ensure that all expenses incurred by project are paid for in a timely manner.
- Conduct periodic site visits to support Provincial offices; and
- Support the Central finance and accounting unit with all other tasks as assigned.
- Any other duties assigned by the DFO and DDFO
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree/Bachelor of Arts in Accounting, Finance or equivalent
- Possession of a professional qualification (ACCA/CIMA/ZICA or equivalent) is an added advantage
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting system desired
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and eager to work in a fast-paced multicultural organization
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in financial management.
- Experience with international donors preferred including experience with USAID funded projects.
- Experience in mentoring and training staff
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and willingness to take initiative.
- Ability to travel to Provincial Offices for around 25% of time
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Exceptional computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Office