John Snow, Inc.
Supporting an AIDS-Free Era
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the recently awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates,mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counseling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Title: Senior Advisor – Pharmaceutical/Supply Chain Services
Position Type: Full Time
The USAID/PEPFAR SAFE Project works closely with GRZ health facilities to provide HIV/AIDS services in Central, Copperbelt and Northwestern Provinces. The project now seeks the services of a highly qualified and motivated Zambian to fill the position of Senior Advisor-Pharmaceutical/Supply Chain Services. He/she will Report to the Deputy Chief of party.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Closely work with the Pharmaceutical Unit at MOH and MSL to ensure that there is steady supply of medical, pharmaceutical and laboratory supplies in SAFE supported facilities;
- Participate in ARVs and other HIV related pharmaceutical supplies’ forecasting at national level;
- Develop and spearhead the enforcement of standard operation procedures on the management of pharmaceutical products in all SAFE supported facilities;
- Lead pharmaco-vigilance services among ART beneficiaries in all SAFE supported facilities and communities in order to achieve desired treatment outcomes;
- From time to time conduct audit inspections in all SAFE supported facilities in order to ensure that there is accountability in the supply chain management of ARVs and other products and an audit trail is established from Medical Stores in Lusaka to the end user in all DSDs and other regular models of ARV/drugs disbursement;
- Ensure that data between clinics and pharmacies on the use of ARV s and other drugs are synchronized;
- Provide regular feedback to the Director of Clinical Services and the Project ion rational drug use among clinicians;
- Plan for buffer stock to take care of shortages in pharmaceutical and laboratory supplies including HIV test kits and selected essential drugs;
- Ensure that mobile service teams are well stocked;
- Conducts operations research intended to improve drug related patient outcomes;
- Any other duty assigned by the Chief of Party.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Degree in Pharmacy from a recognized university or its equivalent with at least 10 years’ work experience in busy environments including public health facility supply chain management;
- Master’s Degree in Pharmacy or equivalent is a great added advantage
- Strong analytical skills in forecasting;
- Familiarity with proper handling of private information and protocol regarding client confidentiality
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and prioritize activities in support of Project goals and deadlines