Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 240 square kilometres. The mine is a modern, world class facility with fully mechanized underground operations.
Lubambe Copper Mine is owned by EMR Capital of Australia (80%) and ZCCM – Investments Holdings (20%).
The Mine is currently in a ramp up stage and will ultimately produce 45, 000 tonnes of contained copper and will employ approximately 1,500 people. The Plant infrastructure consists of a Concentrator plant, a laboratory and underground infrastructure. The Concentrator incorporates crushing, milling, flotation and filtration. The design capacity is 2.5 MTPA of ore at an average mill grade of 2.3% copper, yielding 45,000 tonnes of contained copper in concentrate to be sold to smelters in Zambia.
Lubambe Copper Mine seeks to employ experienced and qualified individuals in the following position:
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY MANAGER (x1)
This position reports to the General Manager Services, who in turn reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
CORE PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The position is responsible for defining, developing and implementing the strategies which underpin the company’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) objectives, and ensuring positive relations with the local communities around the mine.
Key Performance Areas/Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Provide both strategic and hands-on leadership/experience of the Corporate Social Responsibility team
- Ensure alignment of CSR strategy with business strategy, as well as corporate financial objectives; further develop and update these on a regular basis
- Plan and manage the implementation of complex social programs in communities near the mine – areas of focus include: Health, Education, Agriculture, Basic Infrastructure, Business Skills, Land/Water Use and Community Recruitment
- Develop and implement a system for evaluating CSR opportunities and measuring the success of implemented programs
- Further develop working relationships with local community members and representatives, leading efforts to ensure buy-in of company commitments and plans designed to have a positive impact on the environment and communities
- Lead engagement with appropriate local and regional authorities, academic institutions, foreign embassies, NGOs, and business groups to enhance the company’s reputation and license-to-operate
- Act as both an internal and external representative of the company’s CRS policies and projects, including at public events/speaking forums
- Devise effective ways internally and externally of raising awareness of the Company’s CSR activities, and generate publicity as appropriate
- Work effectively in cross-functional context with Communications, HSE, Security and HR teams on all aspects of CSR and community engagement
- Management of the Grievance Redress Mechanism, ensuring all matters logged and redressed within the specified period
- Manage and train junior staff members, and recruit as necessary
- Devise and maintain effective performance management tools; develop and track the annual budgets and costs for this function
- Prepare accurate and timely reports and documentation of all CSR activities
- Network with CSR counterparts at other mining and industrial concerns
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- University Degree from a recognized institution
- More than 10 years’ experience in the CSR field managing social investment programs, preferably with a mix of private sector and government experience, or NGO background. Proven ability to work independently of fixed instructions/ability to take concepts through to completion in the areas noted above
- Solid writing and communications skills
- Having a keen visual and aural perspective related to creation and presentation of materials
- Track-record of delivering results and acting as a change agent
- Public relations and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with an communicate/present to senior executives/Board members
- Be flexible in working both with a team and individually