Principal – Lumwana International School
Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: General Manager – LPDC.
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Principal – Lumwana International School.
Reporting to the General Manager – LPDC, the Lumwana International School Principal is responsible for providing strategic, educational leadership and management to the Lumwana community to ensure optimal educational outcomes are achieved for students and that high levels of service are delivered by the school to support Barrick Mining’s vision.
- The Principal at Lumwana International School provides educational leadership in the school and the community by developing and promoting the school vision, and encouraging school staff, volunteers from the community and others to share ownership of the school’s vision and goals through educational leadership, strategic leadership, staff appointments, staff professional development.
- The Principal is responsible for compliance to relevant Zambian legislation, LMC/Barrick based policies and procedures, encompassing the management of financial and physical resources and staff development to support the growing needs of the Lumwana town.
- Further develop standards, policies, guidelines and procedures for the school operation.
- Ensure school plans and associated policies and learning programs are developed, implemented, monitored and reviewed in collaboration with the teaching staff, LMC, PTA and the community.
- Accountability for student learning outcomes and learning programs is demonstrated through appropriate monitoring and reporting of outcomes. Administrative and operational systems and resources, including financial and physical resources, are managed effectively and ethically
- Effective and equitable human resource management practices that ensure that staff have access to appropriate professional development and performance management and change is managed strategically
- Ensure all commercial and administrative requirements (office services, personnel administration, housing and security) of the operation are conducted efficiently and cost effectively.
- Provide advice and guidance to management on analysis of cost performance and operating efficiencies.
- Provide regular operational reports to enable effective management of the key performance indicators.
- Accountable for completion of all tasks identified in the Management Operating System (MOS) to the specified quality and timelines as assigned to this role
Experience & Qualifications
- Significant experience (15 years) in a Senior or Managerial role in an International School.
- Minimum of Degree in Education
- Sound understanding and experience mining school environment preferably.
- Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian drivers license.
- Professional work ethics and standards
- Leadership qualities and ability to provide strategic direction and inspiration to achieve key outcomes
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to stakeholders at all levels
- Promotes teamwork and inspires others to be team players
- Ability to work independently to achieve key outcomes
- Innovative and creative ability to confront challenge and set high standards
- Ability to coach and mentor others to develop their potential
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.