Marie Stopes Zambia - Lusaka, Lusaka
Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) seeks a Commercial Director to harness the potential of working with the private sector to position MSZ as a leader in the national health market and maximise the impact of our services. The role will lead the marketing, sales (pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical) and commercial centre activities. This is a target driven role and the Commercial Director will be expected to develop and implement a commercial strategy to meet annual sales targets, market share and income. The Commercial Director is part of the executive team leading the efforts of MSZ to become a sustainable actor supporting health outcomes in Zambia. She/He will report to the Country Director, line managing sales, marketing and Centre staff.
Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social enterprise, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare. MSIZ is part of the global network that is Marie Stopes International. MSZ subscribes to the MSI goal and mission, which is to prevent unwanted births and to ensure the individual’s right to Children by Choice not Chance.
It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully comply with, promote and live Marie Stopes International Core Values:
Key responsibilities and related deliverables:
- Design and roll out of effective product sales and trade marketing strategies to ensure strong sales mindful of Place, Product, Price and Promotion needs presented by the market now and into the future
- Lead MSZs marketing efforts to increase knowledge of brand and services across all channels
- Lead centre channel (Including Adolescent Sites) to ensure impact, sustainability and quality.
- Secure corporate contracts for MSZ core services
Sales and trade marketing strategy
- Use market intelligence to develop an approved strategy that will deliver commercially viable sales business of current portfolio
- Design effective business plans for the whole organization with clear targets and accountabilities
- Design and execute successful launch of new products or new way of distribution channels
- Establish and implement a monitoring system that measure ROI, generating data for analysis to improve strategy, planning and productivity
- Manage product pricing strategy including annual revisions as appropriate
- Identify opportunities for expansion of product portfolio based on unmet client needs with commercially viable, surplus generating product solutions
- Provide hands on leadership, and supervision to sales staff and manage contracts with regional distributors based on monthly targets
- Develop and ensure adherence to financial and credit policy
- Position the company within the private sector as the optimal partner for sales and marketing of pharmaceutical products.
Marketing and Branding
- Lead evidence based demand generation strategy development for all channels, through strategic partnership and marketing
- Ensure nationwide recognition of the MSZ brand and the call centre number 5600
- Communicate and ensure adherence to branding guidelines
- Manage marketing officer
Sustainable Centre Channel
- Recruit, train, motivate and manage centre staff against clear targets
- Ensure adherence to Marei Stopes International global quality standards
- Develop and ensure adherence to the centre strategy including pricing, marketing and branding
- Represent the company at pharmaceutical meetings and commercial events and environments.
- Position the company within the private sector as the optimal partner for delivery of sexual reproductive health services
- Manage the development of Marie Stopes Zambia’s corporate offer; prudently pricing services, managing costs effectively and creating long term relationships with reputable companies and organizations in order to ensure the organisation meets its surplus targets.
- Oversee compliance of associates with established Company policies and standards, such as safekeeping of company funds and property, personnel practices, security, sales and record-keeping procedures etc.
- Support overall MSZ strategy by actively participating in Exec team meetings
- Maintain timely administration of required reports
- Participate in annual business planning and develop an annual work plan and budget with teams
Degree in business management or administration or equivalent experience through management
- Minimum 5 years progressive work-experience, including evidence of leadership roles
- Demonstrable experience within Information, Education and communication (IEC) or Behavioural Change and Communication (BCC) programs in the health sector will be an added advantage
- Good knowledge and experience on social marketing or commercial marketing
- Proven ability to lead pharma commercial teams, projects and start-up companies to profitability
- Proven ability to develop and work within approved work plans, lead and manage pharma projects.
- Strong oral, written communication, interpersonal, problem solving and analytical skills.
- A knowledge of reproductive health care (desirable)
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office package
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to manage a heavy and fluctuating workload
- Results orientated
Attitude / Motivation:
- Belief in the role of the private sector to deliver health outcomes
- A self-starter- you are able to work with limited direction to achieve results
- Demonstrates MSZ team member behaviours.
- Pro MSI philosophy of social enterprise and cost recovery