Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social enterprise, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare. MSZ is part of the global network that is Marie Stopes International (MSI). MSZ subscribes to the MSI goal and mission, which is to prevent unwanted births and to ensure the individual’s right to Children by Choice not Chance.
Purpose: Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) seeks a Programmes Manager to help secure new donor funding, to monitor progress of existing grants and ensure ultimate success of all donor funded projects. The post offers the opportunity to develop in- country and international fund raising strategies, design and manage new programmes, develop first class proposals and budgets, and build organizational capacity to deliver results.
MSZ seeks a talented individual with proven skills and experience in proposal writing, securing new funding, managing complex budgets and projects with excellent attention to detail. This position is ideal for someone with prior experience in an international non-profit organization and/or donor relations.
Reporting to: The Programmes Director
Probation: 6 months
New Business Development
- Identifying and successfully capitalising on funding opportunities with major funders of local and international sexual and reproductive health programming.
- Research and analyse donor calls for funding applications including tenders, expressions of interest and requests for proposals. This includes identifying funding opportunities for MSZ – either as a prime or subcontractor.
- Develop and write successful, high quality funding proposals and budgets as agreed by Director(s).
Donor Compliance & Project Cycle Management
- Support project design by identifying funding opportunities and Developing and writing proposals.
- Lead project start-up by developing work plans and budgets
- Monitor project performance to ensure projects are on track against KPIs. This includes monitoring project deliverables, budgets, burn rates, and appropriate coding and cost recovery against each grant and raising any areas of concern to the Director(s).
- Ensure documentation and compliance of project/program contracts are adhered to.
- Be familiar with relevant donor regulations and rules, as well as MSZ policies and procedures, and ensure project implementation is compliant with these regulations, policies, and procedures
Management Support Functions
- Work with other MSZ departments and MSI London to ensure new projects are set up, rolled out and implemented according to plan. Highlight any challenges to implementation that may impact on successful completion of the project in timely fashion to all relevant parties, providing recommendations and solutions to the problems.
- Performance management of all donor funded project ensuring project plans and targets are in line with MSZ’s Objectives, Goals, Strategies and Measures
- Work with project leads and their line managers to ensure successful project
- Work closely with M&E team and other departments and Channel Leads in project implementation and management.
- Implementation of projects on time and within budget, ensuring all internal and external stakeholders understand the project, the associated deliverables and key activities that must be completed to deliver the project to donor and MSI expectations; including but not limited to project launches, clinical quality assessments, demand creation events and donor meetings.
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent
- Demonstrated 2 – 5 years of Project Cycle Management work experience
- Demonstrated 2 -3 years administrative, finance and programme management experience.
- Knowledge of donor regulations, policies and procedures (desirable)
- A knowledge of reproductive health care (desirable)
- Previous experience working for an International NGO is an added advantage
- Excellent knowledge of donor regulations , policies and procedures (desirable)
- Knowledge of Reproductive Health (desirable)
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office package – especially in Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to design, implement and monitor effective project cycle management.
- Understanding of, and ability to write and edit donor proposals and reports
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to manage a heavy and fluctuating workload
- Results orientated
- Demonstrates MSZ team member behaviours.
- Self-motivated, demonstrable initiative and self-management
- Pro MSI philosophy of social enterprise and cost recovery
MSI takes a zero tolerance approach to fraud and bribery, terrorism, money laundering, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct or any safeguarding issues. Applicants will be subjected to a Police Clearance Check and Reference Checks.