Human Resource Advisor (Operations) is responsible for provision of high-quality HR Operations service, overseeing HR administration of recruitment, retention, staff development, termination, HR record management, legal compliance, compensation, benefits, and staffing strategies. This position reports to the Head of Human Resources and People Development
Development of HR Strategies, Policies, Systems and Plans
- Support the Head of Human Resources and People Development to design, operate, coordinate and monitor operational systems for managing necessary human resource functions to implement the approved policies.
- Review and develop HR policies and revise as necessary.
- Identify labor related legal requirements and government reporting regulation affecting the organization.
- Update the job descriptions in the organization according to the need in consultation with the respective line managers.
- Maintain employee database.
- Support the development of HR Budgets and monitoring the spending.
Planning and staffing for human resource needs
- Supporting the Head of Human Resources and People Development in developing workforce plans.
- Develop and maintain human resource information system and utilize and feed information for major human resource decisions in the organization.
- Establish standard recruiting and placement practices and procedures as suggested and directed by the Head of Human Resources and People Development.
- Ensure an appropriate level of human resourcing to meet the existing and anticipated staffing needs.
- Coordinating the recruitment and selection processes and onboarding/induction for new staff.
Management and development of staff performance and Capacity Assessments
- Review, develop and implement effective employee performance management system and coach the line managers / supervisors and provide advice and support for performance management issues and assist them in implementing the Performance Development Reviews (PDR)
- Coordinate activities throughout MMZ across the department lines.
- Participate in Capacity assessment exercises.
Develop effective Employee Relations issues
- Support the review of salary structure, pay policies, employee benefit programs and medical insurance
- Support the development of the compensation and benefit policy and practices to ensure that staff are rewarded in line with both general market practice and individual performance level.
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish positive employee-employee relationships and employee-employer relationship.
- To ensure that Mary’s Meals Zambia and the employees’ interests are protected, and the policies/ practices of the organization are legally compliant.
- Provide support for disciplinary actions as per the HR policy guidelines and tracking and managing the investigations and grievance matters in conjunction with the
- Review employee appeals through established procedures.
Human Resource Operations
- Supporting the development of and implementing HR procedures and policies that meet national employment standards and legislation and align with the Mary’s Meals global standards which all staff are fully aware of.
- Monitoring and evaluating absence levels, recommend solutions to resolve absence issues.
- Managing staff payroll for authorisation by the Country Director and ensure returns for all statutory deductions are filed and paid for.
- Coordinating with Health Insurance providers to track use of the health insurance.
- Ensuring that all insurance claims for work related injuries and losses are filed and followed through.
- Supporting the expatriate staff to facilitate the processing of applications for Visas, Residence and Temporary Employment permits.
Oversee staff well-being and engagement
- Providing counselling support to staff when requested.
- Develop, carryout staff engagement surveys and ensure staff participation. Analysing engagement levels and propose resulting actions
H. Exit management
- Carry out staff exit meetings with separating staff and periodically analyze staff exit related information to guide retention initiatives and recommend initiatives
- Managing employee exit processes (clearance, handover etc.) and ensure that the exit process is compliant with applicable labour laws and MMZ policies.
Reporting and accountability
- Prepare and submit departmental reports and other briefs as and when required.
- Proactively work with the HR team to address HR issues and ensure the HR activity plan/ mandates are achieved to the required standard.
- HR data collections, evaluations and communicating HR metrics.
- Participate and conduct meetings with relevant Human Resource Management organizations.
- Provide regular updates on HR activities and plans at regular meetings with management staff.
Qualifications, skills and Experience.
- Relevant degree in the Social Sciences
- Member of the ZIHRM
- At least 3 years’ experience working within a similar HR Advisory role
- Demonstrates up to date knowledge of Zambian employment law and best practice
- Exceptional communication and relationship building skills
- Human Resources experience in a managerial position, preferably in a not for profit and/or a global organisation.
- A creative and innovative thinker
- Demonstrate a strategic approach to HR with the ability and willingness to also execute the tactical elements of the job.
- Strong non-profit background either professionally or via personal non-profit volunteering efforts.
- Strong planning, supervisory, and management skills.