The University of Maryland Baltimore with funding from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) will conduct the Zambia National Population HIV Impact Assessment (ZAMPHIA 2020).
ZAMPHIA 2020 will assess progress towards achievement of the UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets on national and subnational levels. The data will be used to focus HIV services and resources to the areas of greatest need and help move Zambia closer to HIV epidemic control.
The University of Maryland Baltimore affiliate, Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation Zambia (MGIC Zambia) is currently inviting applications from interested persons, who meet the minimum requirements to apply to the key positions advertised. Project Duration is scheduled for eighteen (18) months and successful candidates will be offered employment for that period.
Laboratory Advisor (Satellite Labs and Field)
The Lab Advisor (Satellite and Field) will be responsible for the Sample collection, testing, transportation, and storage of high-quality biologic specimen to measure specific HIV seroprevalence, HIV and other biomarkers for project. He/ She will be based in Lusaka but having frequent travels to the satellite and to the field for supervision and will require 100% commitment in the laboratory.
- Overall specimen receipt verification, processing and storage as well as Lab operations of all ZAMPHIA-related activities at the Satellite Laboratory
- Lead, coordinate and facilitate all activities related to specimen transfer and quality assurance
- Coordinate and facilitate the transport of specimens from the field to satellite/mobile laboratories
- Liaise with the field lab technician to ensure that field testing activities and transport of specimen from field to the satellite lab are conducted as per respective SOP
- Ensure blood samples are shipped from the satellite to the central laboratory in a timely manner to maintain specimen integrity.
- Ensure that lab staff receive and accession each specimen into a Laboratory Data Management System (LDMS) and process as per ZAMPHIA standard operating procedure
- Monitor the entire quality system from Pre-examination, examination and post-examination which will include, occurrence management, daily/weekly reviews of QC documentation, troubleshooting both equipment and QC failures
- Monitor and ensure optimal laboratory environmental conditions are maintained to ensure quality of data
- Supervise, coordinate and schedule laboratory technicians at satellite/mobile lab and ensure optimal human resource is at hand to accomplish ZAMPHIA testing
- Assess and monitor competency of all satellite lab technicians to ensure quality of results
- Liaise closely with the data team to ensure accurate and well tracked testing and analysis of biological samples
- A Master’s degree in any relevant scientific field strongly preferred
- Skilled in QMS and Data management
- Experience in working on the laboratory bench for at least 3 years
- Experience in HIV program; participation in proficiency testing is an advantage
- Experience with population survey will be an added advantage
- Experience performing Quality Assurance measures in all phases of biomedical testing
- Ability to write clear and concise SOPs, reports for internal and external audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required
- Must be a national
- Ability to work for long hours
- Ability to pay attention to details
- Ability to work with your hands and will need dexterity to work with small vials, test tubes, and delicate lab equipment
- Ability to work as part of a team as well and cooperate with team members in the field
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment and routine equipment maintenance.
- A systematic approach to tasks and the ability to follow instructions and set procedures
- A high level of flexibility in performing the responsibilities of the position