Ministry of Agriculture - Lusaka, Lusaka
The Ministry of Agriculture has received financing from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) toward the cost of the Smallholder Productivity Promotion Programme (S3P), and intends to apply part of the proceeds of the financing to activities and investments aimed at strengthening Farmer Organisations and their Federations in Luapula, Muchinga and Northern Provinces. Such activities and investments include capacity building of, among others, Farmer Organisations, District Cooperative Unions and Primary Cooperative Societies. Part of the effort to build capacity of the cooperatives is through the engagement of Managers and Book-Keepers for two (02) District Cooperative Unions in Kawambwa and Mbala Districts and two (02) Primary Cooperatives in Chinsali District.
The Four Cooperatives in conjunction with the Department of Cooperatives now, therefore, invite applications from suitably qualified Zambian nationals to fill the following vacancies:
1. MANAGER (4 POSITIONS)
Location: Kawambwa (01), Mbala (01), Chinsali (02)
Contract duration: One (01) Year
The Manager will be responsible for managing and controlling the overall day-to-day administration, operation, coordination and control of all aspects of the Cooperative in accordance with approved strategic and business plans and in order to attain objectives, financial viability and provide services to members as outlined in the by-laws. This includes, but not limited to, strategic planning; setting up accounting, book-keeping and administrative systems for the cooperative. The Manager will be accountable to the Cooperative Board of Directors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The successful candidate is expected to carry out the following functions under the supervision of the Board of Directors:
- Guide and administer the affairs of the Cooperative in keeping with sound business practices and the objectives of the organization and to ensure profitable operations and positive cash flows
- Control and supervise the finances (custody of cash, cheque writing, borrowing, etc.) of the Cooperative and strive for high levels of efficiency and maintain a careful and judicious control of expenses as well as accurate record keeping
- Appraise continually the operating results of the Cooperative and to take prompt corrective action as required to ensure all operations are viable
- Keep abreast of general business and economic conditions, legislation, new developments and problems that may affect the value chain the Co-operative is engaged in initiate budget preparations and recommendations for consideration by the board
- Supervise the work ofthe book-keeper and any other staff that may be in the employment of the cooperative
- Safeguard the assets of the Cooperative Union
- Authorize payment of funds from the organisation as may be directed by the board
- Attend all meetings and keep or cause to be kept a record of all votes and proceedings of the meetings
- Circulate notices of meetings called and/or requested by an appropriate authority to members and to all other stakeholders
- Ensure that the Financial Statement is prepared for audit
- Prepare quarterly progress reports and submit to the board at its meetings or at suchother times as required an account of all the transactions and financial position of the Organisation
- Keep in Safe Custody, the Seal of the Organisation
- Perform other duties as required for the proper management ofthe association
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Minimum of a Diploma in Business Administration or other related qualifications
- Between 30 to 40 Years of age
- Must be a Zambian national and be ready to reside in the area of operation
- Valid motor bike/Driver License as the job will entail extensive field work
- A minimum of 2 Years post qualification experience in a similar capacity
- Must be self-motivated, analytical, articulate and be able to engage stakeholders involved in the various values chains
- Must be fluent in English. Ability to speak the local language will be an added advantage.
- Applicants must be able to undertake extensive field work where the Primary Cooperatives are located.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be goal oriented and ready to work even on Saturdays as work demands.