Clerk of Works
NMS Infrastructure Zambia Limited - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
NMSI seeks an experienced and proven Clerk of Works to provide Clerk of Works services for the construction and equipping of 108 Health centres and 3 District Hospitals. To monitor and inspect construction work, record progress, carry out handover procedures and ensure compliance with contract documents, construction regulations and best practice.
Reporting to: Director / General Manager (Zambia)
Based at: Lusaka with travel throughout Zambia
- Make at least weekly visits to the projects in contract, attending the site meetings and advising of difficulties being encountered or likely to be encountered.
- Make recommendations both orally and in writing about any aspect of the works including quality which do not conform with the plans, specifications or schedules of works and other documentation that might be unsatisfactory for any other reason of designs, work or cost. Refer recommendations to manager for a decision on further instruction.
- Continuously monitor work on site in accordance with the Contractors Method Statements and the Construction Health and Safety Plan, and endeavour to ensure the safety of all persons affected by the works. Promptly report breaches to contractors and consultants in written form. Undertake routine inspections.
- Maintain and issue weekly progress reports for all visits, including weather instructions, amendments, labour force, quality, Health and Safety, test results, conducting inspections.
- Examine, as far in advance as possible any contract documents and drawings for any discrepancies. Attend weekly progress meetings. Report on the contractor’s schedule and performance.
- Check that progress is maintained according to the schedule and advise on any likely cause for delay to the Director/General Manager.
- Prepare and attend snagging inspections to the issue of Certificate of Practical Completion. Ensure that schedules of defects after handover are maintained, and their rectification before the expiration of the defects liability period.
- Work in collaboration with members of the Project Design Team and clients to ensure that the projects run smoothly, and all objectives are achieved.
- Where approval samples and benchmarks are available, compare work carried out against samples and ensure that its consistent with the original.
- Maintain records on site of all inspections carried out, tests undertaken, samples approved.
- Substantial experience as Clerk of Work/Surveyor/Trade Foreman, on new & occupied sites.
- Some experience and knowledge of MoH practices & procedures.
- 10 to 15 years relevant experience required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Able to prepare and write progress records.
- Able to prioritise, plan and manage own workload and projects to meet conflicting work demands and deadlines.
- Able to use Microsoft Office software i.e. Word & Excel or equivalent software & also use electronic mail
- In depth knowledge of relevant legislation and statutory authority requirements.
- Building Regulations and related compliance requirements.
- Previous experience working on MoH projects
Education & Training:
- A relevant technical qualification in a construction related subject and membership of an appropriate institute e.g. Institute of Clerk of Works or equivalent verifiable work-based experience and training.
- Able to attend weekly meetings and site meetings as required.
- Able to undertake site visits and access all parts of building sites including the use of ladders
- Hold a full, valid driving licence.
- Fluent in spoken and written English