Regional Policy & WIN Manager
OXFAM - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
Location: Malawi/Mozambique/South Africa/Zambia/Zimbabwe (Family Posting)
One person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty. Around the world, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. In all we do, Oxfam works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
As a confederation, our values are Accountability, Empowerment and Inclusiveness.
Empowerment: Everyone, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can be a catalyst for change.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
Oxfam in Southern Africa is working towards a just and inclusive future for all in southern Africa; To achieve this goal, we work with others towards;
In addition to working towards the realisation of women and young people’s rights as a standalone strategic objective, we aim to transform gender power relations and norms, and to facilitate women’s articulation of their own voice and agendas across all our work, thus staying committed to putting women at the center of all we do.
Facilitates the development and implementation of the Worldwide Influencing Network within Southern Africa and at national level in line with the WIN National Influencing Standards and SAF vision for 2020 programmes. The role reports to the OI Regional Director for SAF.
We are looking for an individual who is dynamic, charismatic and a credible leader, preferably a National of any of these countries: Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe-with the following:
- In-depth understanding of the economic, political and social causes and dynamics of poverty and a familiarity with policy issues related to the creation or reduction of poverty in Southern African countries
- Clear understanding of what represents sustainable and effective development action
- Ability to think and act strategically and understand the relationship between national and regional programmes and the global objectives of Oxfam
- Proven experience of leading and/or supporting others to design and deliver advocacy and campaigns, programme and research and policy work in one or more countries in the global south
- In-depth experience of leading or working with team(s) in the global south to enhance influencing capacity and impact
- Multi-year work experience in more than one country in the Southern Africa region
- Excellent inter-personal and collaboration skills, particularly in cross-cultural contexts
- Proven experience of capacity strengthening and advisory work
- Ability to address women’s rights in the design/delivery of influencing work
- Very strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand highly complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans.
- Superb judgement that ensures the delivery of a cohesive strategy and policy, and grows Oxfam’s reputation across the Southern Africa region
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, with experience of external representation strategies, lobbying, advocacy and campaigning
- Collaborative working as part of a leadership team
- A high level of energy, stamina and flexibility. Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through, often working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Fluency in written and spoken English essential
- May need to work after hours or at the weekends
- Ability to travel frequently and at short notice, including to remote and difficult locations
At Oxfam, we believe that every aspect of our work can lead to a positive outcome. If you have the same opinion, together with the ability to meet the challenges involved, this role offers scope for immense personal fulfilment – as well as outstanding opportunities to develop your career.
Oxfam is committed to providing a competitive compensation package based on a 40-hour work week.