Pact Zambia - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development
The USAID-funded Zambia Community HIV Prevention Project (Z-CHPP) supports the Government of Zambia to reduce new HIV infections through increased adoption of high impact HIV services and protective behaviors among at-risk populations, using evidence-based and locally owned solutions and in close partnership with a range of local Zambian organizations and institutions.
Position Summary: The Finance Officer is directly responsible to and supervised by the Senior Finance Officer, Pact Zambia. The Finance Officer is mainly responsible for the day to day internal finance functions of Pact Zambia.
Key Performance Areas:
- Cashbook maintenance
- Travel Advances management
- Petty Cash Maintenance
- Fixed Asset and Inventory Maintenance
- Monthly Financial Reporting.
- Administrative tasks.
Specific Finance Duties:
- Ensure that the PO (Purchase Orders) are matched to invoices and the billing detail verified;
- Prepare payment vouchers, making sure that supporting documents such as invoices, delivery notes are complete and attached and indicating the Account, Fund and Sub-Project Codes.
- Capture all approved payments onto the Stanbic Online Banking system for approval by signatories.
- Attach and file all EFT copies to the respective payment documents and send a copy to the vendor.
- Assist in preparing for Monthly Financial Reports.
- Assist in preparing of Pact’s annual audits by ensuring the filed documents are complete.
Capture of Monthly Transactions:
- Ensure daily recording of transactions into Serenic accounting software.
- Ensure that all transactions in Serenic and hard copy documents are uniquely numbered to facilitate future queries and audit trails;
- Ensure that the accounts codes are accurately captured in Serenic accounting software
- Ensure timely and accurate capture and review of all Purchase Orders in Serenic accounting software
- Ensure timely and accurate capturing of Travel advances, Liquidations in Serenic accounting software
- Ensure expats allowances paid in-country are tracked and payment documents are sent to HQ on a monthly basis to ensure smooth financial month-end close.
- Review Travel advance authorization and Request Forms to ensure accuracy of the amounts requested as per Pact Zambia Travel policy.
- Verify and confirm that the staff requesting for a travel advance does not have an unliquidated advance pending.
- Review all liquidations for accuracy and validity of receipts and other supporting documents.
- Ensure that all travel advances are liquidated within the stipulated timeframe and any change is banked timely as per Pact Policy.
Petty Cash Maintenance
- Review Petty Cash vouchers and receipts for accuracy and validity and submit to the Senior Finance Officer for approval.
- Review the Petty Cash Reconciliation Register and the supporting vouchers and receipts for eventual petty cash reimbursement and submit to the Senior Finance Officer for further review.
- Conduct random and month-end Petty Cash Count and report on any discrepancies found to the Senior Finance Officer
Specific Administrative Duties:
Fixed Asset Register Maintenance:
- Ensure the Fixed Asset Register is updated and reconciled with the Asset Register in Serenic accounting software
- Conduct inventory count quarterly to ensure existence of assets and verification of their status and condition.
- Report any discrepancies immediately to the Senior Finance Officer
- Ensure that all assets are insured by ensuring that the Insurance policy is renewed annually and newly procured assets are included in the insurance cover.
- Liaise with Pact HQ on annual updates of CRM database.
Payroll & Filing of Statutory Returns
- Timely prepare and submit monthly, bi-annual and annual statutory returns for PAYE, NAPSA, Workers’ Compensation Fund.
- Follow up on Timesheets and ensure they are submitted by 22nd of the month.
- Perform functions with a view to safeguarding and developing the best interests of Pact Zambia
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial transactions.
- Maintain a sound filing system
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
- 3 – 5 years of relevant experience in finance, accounting, operations.
- Sound knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP).
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and complex accounting software systems