Peace Corps Zambia - Lusaka, Lusaka
Peace Corps Zambia wishes to invite applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Training Manager.
Location : Lusaka
Starting Salary : ZMW 407,600.00/Annum
Work hours : Full-time; 40 hours/week
Training Managers (TM) are responsible for overseeing all aspects of the training of Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs) and Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs). S/he is responsible for working in collaboration with the Programming &Training team and other key members of staff (PCMOs, SSC, DPT, CD, DMO, GSO etc.) in the development of a Pre Service Training Calendar of Training Events (COTE) that is in line with Peace Corps’ Focus In Train Up initiative; in addition, the TM is responsible for planning and implementing training events during the PCVs’ two years of service including In-Service Training (IST), Mid-Service Training (MST) and Close of Service (COS) conference in collaboration with Program Managers. Other sector specific trainings may be organized for which the TM will play a key role. The TM is responsible for insuring PCTs and PCVs are provided with Pre Service Training and other training events throughout their two-year that adequately addresses PC’s Core Competencies and equips them with the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes to serve as successful Peace Corps Volunteers in Zambia.
The TM is responsible for coordinating PC’s Language and Cross Cultural program in cooperation with the Language and Cross Cultural Coordinator. S/he provides critical support to the PST staff in working with PST component coordinators/trainers and Host Country agencies in order to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the training. S/he divides time among all component coordinators/trainers in order to afford guidance and adequate support while being responsible for two cohorts of volunteers per year. In addition, the TM will assist in the design and delivery of training sessions relating to cross culture and technical components, as well as provide feedback and advice in effective training methods.
This position reports to the Director of Programming and Training (DPT).
In order to be selected for this position, the applicant must be a Zambian Citizen, must not have been employed in intelligence-related activities, and must submit a typed cover letter and CV that clearly documents how they meet each of the following mandatory requirements:
Education: BA or BS degree in English, Development Studies, Public Administration, Public Health, Fisheries, Forestry, Education or other related fields is required; an advanced degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage.
Prior Work Experience:
- Five years’ experience in training adults in a fast paced and multi-cultural setting, with at least 2 years’ experience as a lead trainer including experience in adult learning methodologies and principles.
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation and presentation skills, including leading training sessions for large multi-cultural groups of adults.
- Sound knowledge of Zambian culture
- Two or more years of experience as a supervisor of professional staff
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
- Previous experience working with Peace Corps and/or Peace Corps Volunteers or a similar organization will be an added advantage
- Experience working with online monitoring and evaluations systems analysis of results will be an added advantage
Language Proficiency: Fluency in English language (spoken and written) as well as proficiency in a commonly spoken local language (Bemba, Tonga or Nyanja) around the training hubs in Chongwe and Chipembi.
- General knowledge of Peace Corps’ mission, Government of Zambia protocol, structures and contacts and collaborating with host country partners will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of key Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel and Power Point) including typing and basic trouble shooting of computer systems is required; Knowledge of Microsoft Publisher will be an added advantage.
Abilities and Skills: Must be highly resourceful and creative, with strong interpersonal skills able to: a) research, write, develop and publish training materials, b) work independently in inter-cultural organization to meet important goals in a timely manner,c) communicate effectively with diverse colleagues;
Other: Successful completion of necessary background and security clearances; Ability to drive 4×4 manual vehicle is added advantage.