Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Safeguarding children and young people is key in all that we do.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and capacity building programmes focus primarily on Education, Health, Water and Sanitation, Economic Security and Youth Empowerment, including Child Protection and Participation. Plan International Zambia has Programme Areas in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located.
Plan International Zambia is looking for experienced, innovative, motivated, self-starter individuals to fill the positions of Project Coordinator under the “Strengthening Community Based Management of Environment and Natural Resources,” Project. This is a four year project which started in December 2015 with funding support from Plan International Germany.
Project Coordinator – Climate Change Adaptation
1 Position Central Program Area
The incumbent has the overall responsibility for project implementation, working directly with the community members on the ground and prepares reports of the project. He/she also provides technical support to all stakeholders including associates to ensure successful implementation of the project. In liaison with the Economic Empowerment Manager the incumbent will actively participate in program planning, implementation and reporting at both at Central Programme Area (PA) and Country Office.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Successfully strengthen the Community Based Management of Environment and Natural Resources and build the capacity of targeted communities in climate change adaptation and environmental skills
- Providing leadership and guidance to the project team on all activities that will be implemented
- Identifying and apply effective measures to realize the rights of the children, their families and communities through the Strengthening Community Based Management of Environment and Natural Resources project.
- Identification of capacity building needs of community members including children and youth on the project to ensure informed selection, planning and management of community activities.
- Provide technical advice, backstopping and capacity building to staff, partners, children, community based organizations and community volunteers in climate change adaptation and environmental management.
- Designing and implementing capacity building activities that ensure that children, youths and communities understand the importance of community based management of environment and natural resources.
- Coordinate the planning, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of the Strengthening Community Based Management of Environment and Natural Resources project
- Ensure constant monitoring of activities to ensure the impact of the project
- Identify and apply effective measures with and for communities to be able to manage their own natural environments.
- Ensuring that the project budgets of the Strengthening Community Based Management of Environment and Natural Resources project is spent according to the implementation plan
- Establishing in-house networks to enhance integration of climate change and environmental programs
- Establishing partnerships with NGO’S and government entities and various stakeholders to increase long term sustainability the Strengthening Community Based Management of Environment and Natural Resources project
Candidates will need to demonstrate possession of:
- Degree/Diploma in Forestry, Agriculture, Natural Resources or other related studies
- Three (3) years working experience in the field of environment, climate change adaptation and livelihood.
- Five (5) years’ experience in project management
- Experience in coordination, facilitating learning processes and managing relationships of various stakeholders
- Experience in writing donor reports
- Strategic thinking
- Striving for high performance and improvement
- Nurturing & developing others
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Team-playing skills
- Facilitation skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong inter-personal skills and a good communicator
- Leadership skills