Technical Officer – Shelter Construction
Plan International Zambia - Lusaka, Lusaka
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Child protection is key in all that we do.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and capacity building programmes focus primarily on Education, Health, Water and Sanitation, Economic Security and Youth Empowerment, including Child Protection and Participation. Plan International Zambia has Programme Areas (PAs) in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located.
Plan is seeking a suitable persons to fill the position below:
TECHNICAL OFFICER- Shelter and Construction – Mantapala Refugee Resettlement in Luapula Province (3 Months contract)
The position will support construction works for teacher’s houses and health centre by providing technical and supervision services to meet the required standards of the project. S/he will report to the Emergency Response Manager (ERM) and work closely with Education & Health Programme Managers, Programme Area Manager, Government buildings department and other stakeholders.
Key responsibilities for this position include;
- Supervising construction works in Mantapala and ensuring that constructed structures meet the required standards and specification.
- Provide clear guidance on standards for shelter, including minimum emergency standards to meet basic and essential needs as well as guidance for phased improvement of shelter conditions.
- Ensuring that specifications, bills of quantities and drawings are adhered to and any deviations must be communicated to management.
- Preparing bi-weekly monitoring reports and submit to the Emergency Response Manager (ERM).
- Evaluate performance of hired labor to ensure construction quality and safety.
- Ensure that design concerns raised by hired labor or beneficiaries are addressed in a timely manner.
- Certify completed works according to the various stages of the constructions as required.
- Higher level qualification in technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture/engineering/construction management
- Minimum 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a construction context and experience in training.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Aptitude for community mobilization and capacity-building.
- Ability to manage project implementation, take initiatives, prioritize clearly and oversee multiple tasks.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
Languages – Excellent knowledge of English and Bemba