Agriculture/Food and Nutrition Officer
Programme Against Malnutrition - Location: Zambia, Lusaka
Programme Against Malnutrition (PAM) is a non-governmental, agro-based organisation that works across the country and provides links between rural NGOs, government and cooperating partners. The mission of the institution is to contribute to poverty reduction interventions that promote sustainable livelihoods for vulnerable people through improved food security, nutrition and incomes.
PAM in partnership with CARE International in Zambia is implementing Scaling Up Nutrition Interventions at Community and District Levels in Zambia” in Choma and Kalomo districts of Southern province. The project will contribute to Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) specific interventions under the First 1000 MCDP in order to address stunting among children less than 2 years old.
The project is being implemented in collaboration with Government Ministries of Health, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries and, Community Development and Social Services. The proposed initiative will focus on the First 1000 Most Critical Days of life which includes pregnant, lactating women and children below years of age, with consideration to adolescent girls in Choma and Kalomo districts.
PAM now invites applications from suitably qualified, experienced and highly motivated candidates for the position of Agriculture/Food and Nutrition Officer to be based in Kalomo District. Duration of Contract is One (01) year.
The successful candidate will be responsible for project planning, implementation, coordination and monitoring at district level. The officer will directly report to the Project Manager.
- Training in promotion of diverse diets, fruit, vegetable and livestock production to enhance Lead Farmer knowledge and skills;
- Conduct awareness and sensitisation activities on sustainable agriculture, gender, climate change, First 1000 MCDP, HIV/AIDS to improve household food security and nutrition
- Facilitate procurement and distribution of agricultural inputs and equipment ie. seed, small livestock, fruit and food processing equipment
- Conduct demonstrations in processing, storage and utilisation of locally available foods
- Participate in review meetings and preparation of quarterly and annual work plans
- Compile and submit activity, quarterly and annual reports
- Participate in district project and other technical collaborative meetings to enhance implementation of project activities.
- Supervise and monitor all field activities and to ensure effective implementation
Key Qualifications, Experience and Abilities:
- BSc Degree or Diploma in agriculture science, food science or nutrition
- Experience in conservation farming, monitoring and evaluation and project management will be an added advantage
- At least four (4) years practical experience implementing community food and nutrition activities in government or non-governmental organisations
- Experience in planning, budgeting, coordination and managing results
- Innovative with good interpersonal and organisation skills
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Team builder, self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Computer literate with excellent report writing skills
- Knowledge of Tonga and possession of a clean driving licence will added advantage