Programme Against Malnutrition - Location: Zambia, Lusaka
Position: Assistant Accountant, to be based in Kalomo District. Contract period: one (1) year
Programme Against Malnutrition (PAM) is a local non-governmental organisation that provides development, disaster and mitigation response services. PAM’s mission is to facilitate and provide services for vulnerable groups to improve household food security, nutrition and incomes.
In partnership with CARE International in Zambia, PAM will be implementing a project called “Scaling Up Nutrition Interventions at Community and District Levels in Zambia” which will specifically support the Government of Zambia in addressing undernutrition. The project will scale up the multi-sectoral approach combining Sustainable Agriculture, Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) over a period of 4 years funded by the European Union.
The project will be implemented in collaboration with Government Ministries of Health, Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries and, Community Development and Social Services. The proposed initiative will focus on the First 1000 Most Critical Days of life which includes pregnant, lactating women and children below years of age, with consideration to adolescent girls in Choma and Kalomo districts in Southern Province of Zambia.
Purpose of the Position:
The successful candidates will be responsible for preparing donor financial reports, budgets, maintaining cash controls, maintaining accounts payable and processing of office payments related to cash transfers. The Assistant Accountant will be based in Kalomo and will provide administrative and logistical assistance to the office in Kalomo as well as administration and human resources support for PAM staff.
- Prepare disbursements and keep record of receipts and expenditure to facilitate effective project implementation;
- Build capacity of implementing partners in financial record keeping and reporting;
- Budgeting and budgetary control;
- Undertake effective management of inventory;
- Follow up and scrutinise liquidations of operational advances to project field staff;
- Maintenance of all accounting transactions onto prescribed accounting package, spread sheets. secure and systematic storage of accounting documents;
- Ensure accurate coding of all transactions for entry into the general ledger and perform monthly bank reconciliations;
- Prepare timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
- Monitor and evaluate overall performance of implementing partners;
- Attend to logistical and other administrative duties as required.
Key Qualifications, Experience and other Requirements:
- ZICA Licentiate complete, CA Zambia Application level complete, ACCA II complete, Diploma in Accounting, NATECH or any equivalent qualifications
- Three (3) years relevant work experience in government or NGO sector
- Good computer skills (Excel, Word etc.) and high proficiency in excel spread sheets
- Good knowledge of accounting packages especially Pastel and SUN accounting systems
- Possession of a clean driving license will be an added advantage